Sunday 22 July 2012

Tomato and Goats Cheese Salad

I didn't even think about this being a recipe until my husband pointed out that the kind of things I make for his lunch aren't things he would have thought of doing.

My mum always used to take time and care over my packed lunch as a child while using up leftovers at the same time (so making sure it was thrifty).  I have to admit occasionally I was jealous of my friends with their wrapped chocolate biscuits and packets of crisps but then you always want what you don't have and I did appreciate the home made bread, home made cakes and the effort.  I also liked being the kid with the 'odd' things in her lunch like garlicky salami and pate (now it doesn't seem so strange but in Northamptonshire in the eighties, this was definitely wacky stuff!)

After having years of sandwiches made with home made bread (nice hot but a touch heavy when it's cold), I am now more keen on making alternative lunches with different dishes or salads and challenging what is lunch time food.

Lunch time, after all is a time when either you, your partner or your child have been busy all morning and it's time to relax, stop, rest and take a moment.  Making yourself a nice lunch is a way of taking care of yourself and brightening up your day.

So, this little side salad was served with some cold roasted chicken and some potato salad.  Probably ideally something green should have been included but it was just what I had in the fridge.




Tomato and Goats Cheese Salad - Serves 1 as a side salad

Ingredients

2 Ripe Tomatoes
Approx 1 oz, 25g Hard goats cheese
1 tsp White wine vinegar
1 tsp Extra virgin olive oil
Seasoning to taste if liked

Method

Slice the tomatoes and layer up in a plastic pot.  Top with the cheese, oil, vinegar and seasoning if using.  Pop a lid on top and refrigerate until lunchtime.

I've linked this up to Meatless Mondays



I've linked this to Totally Tasty Tuesdays!

8 comments:

  1. It's these wonderful but simple dishes that inspire people.. Great work

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow that was the speediest comment ever! Thank you. I think that a simple, 5 ingredient or less recipe can be fabulous.

      Actually it is an important point. I went to Tuscany once and ate in a three Michelin starred restaurant. It was lovely in so many ways but there were two other meals I had; one was a wild boar ragu in Volterra, the other was spaghetti a la fruitti di mare near Pisa and they are the meals which stick in my memory. The overall experience of the Michelin starred place was fantastic and I know the food was good, I just don't remember it. Sometimes simplicity can mean so much more.

      Sorry got all deep there and we are after all talking about a tomato salad ha ha ha!

      Delete
  2. I'm so impressed you make things like this for your OH's lunch - mine has to make himself a sandwich in the morning while I'm still in bed! Must try harder...!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, if you could encourage a tad more appreciation for this..

      Delete
  3. Beautiful simplicity, bet it is wonderful in Summer when tomatoes are at their peak.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Absolutely. Not worth even trying at other times of the year.

      Delete
  4. Hi, I am dropping by via Meatless Mondays. This looks really lovely, simple and healthy. I think I can replace it with another type of cheese as I won't be able to get goat cheese? - Mich@www.pieceofcake.sg

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Goat's cheese is pretty easy to find but you could replace it (with different results) with feta or mozzarella (torn up).

      Delete

I would love to read your comments but please don't include links in them.

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.