Monday 2 July 2012

Courgette and Feta Bites for babies and toddlers

This is a variation on the Broccoli nuggets recipe I posted in April which has become my most read recipe.  I can understand why, it can be difficult to get kids to like vegetables and anything in a small, easily holdable form is a winner with toddlers.  (Although one person admitted they had them as a beer snack!)

This is also a great recipe for baby led weaners as although cheese and bread are salty, with only 1/12th of a slice of bread and less than 6g of cheese per 'bite' it's far better than giving a sandwich.

This is a variation I encourage you to try, especially if your courgette plants survived the onslaught of local slugs (mine, unfortunately did not) and you're currently trying to find new and interesting ways to use them in cooking.  I don't know if you're like me but I love growing courgettes but I seem to be the only person in my family who likes to eat them!




Courgette (zucchini) and feta bites - makes 12

Ingredients

1 slice of bread, cut into small cubes
140g courgette (zucchini), grated
70g feta cheese, crumbled finely
2 eggs

Method

Preheat the oven to 200oC, 400F.  Oil a silicone mini muffin tin with olive oil (or use a small cupcake tin).  Fill each hole with a dsp of the mixture.

Bake for 16 minutes or until firm and well browned.



Serve with vegetables of your choice.

It's great to expose kids to different cheeses from a young age.  I've always hated hearing grown adults say "I don't like cheese" or "I don't like fish" and was determined my son would not grow up this way. There are so many cheeses out there that there is bound to be at least one you like.  Fortunately my son is already a cheese fiend and recently at a local artisan cheese fair, around his second birthday was happily enjoying Stilton.  On Saturday he was stealing my mussels when we were out for lunch together.  I think the gift of enjoying food is such a great one to give a child.

If you have some feta cheese left, why not make some spanakopita?  Or why not try Spinach and Feta mini muffins?

If you do have a glut of courgettes, try making this courgette pasta recipe where the courgette really is the star.  Or make some courgette chips?  Absolutely delicious!

I've linked this up here and to Meatless Mondays!



13 comments:

  1. Oh, here comes another nice recipe to put some courgette to good use. Well, and there is cheese in it ... cool!
    Not just for babies and toddlers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well my husband and I had some too! I liked them, my husband less so but he still ate them all. I know what it's like, when courgette season starts you're swamped in them! The slugs got all mine though :o(

      Delete
  2. Such a good idea and a clever way to use up the courgettes, though I am not sure I planted too many this year. I love Feta cheese and think this is a delicious recipe, so few ingredients and quick to put together.....Love it!
    You will be pleased to know the link is working now on my July One Ingredient Post! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So has the harvest not been any good even if your plants survived the slugs? Mine got as far as the first small courgette then SLUG ATTACK! Firstly the small courgette went and then over a couple of nights, the whole plants. Evil!

      Delete
  3. This actually looks great for breakfast on the go :) Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just made these for the girls tea tonight & they both scoffed the lot!

    Don't feel too bad about the slug attack, they have been awful this year - poor DD1's sunflowers all got eaten too :-(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know they've been like super slugs. Nasty. They've even eaten some of my herbs! It's unheard of!

      Delete
  5. Have made these twice now. The recipe is great - works really well and very quick to prepare. A tad on the mild side though so I am thinking about putting some chopped sun-dried tomatoes in next time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a good idea. Like it. Personally although it's mild, I really like the taste of feta cheese, especially when it's been cooked.

      Delete
  6. I would never have thought of these actually. Sounds like a really good way to use Feta.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love cooking with feta, I think it really develops the flavour.

      Delete
  7. These look fabulous. I'd enjoy them, and I think they'll be perfect for my grandson who is eating soft finger foods. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete

I would love to read your comments but please don't include links in them.

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.