Wednesday 4 July 2012

Coleslaw for the whole family

I was inspired by my son's nursery to make coleslaw.  Although he's had potato salad before, it was just something which hadn't occurred to me to make until I saw it on the menu but it's great at this time of year (and in this weather) as it's a hardy salad as comfortable alongside hot food as cold stuff and let's face it, who knows what's happening from day to day?




Coleslaw - serves 2 adults and a child as a side dish comfortably

Ingredients

140g, 5oz White cabbage
70g, 2.5oz Carrot
2 small apples
3 tbsp mayonnaise (commercial mayonnaise if feeding to babies as this is pasteurised)
1 tbsp yoghurt
1 tsp olive oil

Method

Shred the cabbage, i.e. take odd the outer leaves and then cut off one of the sides then slice fine slices using a sharp knife.  As I was serving this to my toddler, I then also cut into short lengths, approx 2cm long (a little less than an inch) to make it less likely he'd get weirded out by it.

Wash or peel the carrot and grate on a coarse grater.  Core the apples but don't peel and cut into small slices then across the slice a couple of times.

Mix all of the ingredients together with the prepared fruit and vegetables.  Chill until ready to serve.



If you want to mix things up, use red cabbage, fennel, kohlrabi or even peeled and grated broccoli stalk (tastes quite cabbagy).  You could also add in other ingredients like raisins if you like although personally I think the apple gives enough sweetness.

My son gave this a go and ate half of the portion I gave him.  Not bad considering he also only ate half of the sausage and none of the sourdough on his plate (he loves sausages and sourdough.)  Some days you just aren't all that hungry!  Good thing was there was some left for later for Mum and Dad and maybe even a spoonful for my lunch tomorrow if I get in quickly...

I've also put in a new label with this post of "lunch box food" as I'm sure loads of people with older kids would find this useful.  Obviously include an ice pack in the box, coleslaw needs to be kept cold.

Here's a lovely wintery coleslaw made with red cabbage, it looks fantastically colourful I think:



I've linked this up to Scottish Mum's Funky Foodies and to Crisp Photo Works food photography linky!

9 comments:

  1. I make coleslaw fairly regularly - just like my Mum did - but I'd forgotten that you could put apple in it. That just might get my son eating it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not generally a fan of putting fruit in savoury stuff but this is how my Mum used to make it so I never thought of not putting apple in if that makes sense! It makes it a good addition to cooked meats with the apple I think, a bit like a relish.

      Delete
  2. sounds delish! Thanks I will try this soon.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I actually like putting fruits into savory stuff. This would work perfect for me!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was just the way my mum always made it. The yoghurt and oil are my additions.

      Delete
  4. It looks so delicious and creamy! I never thought to put apples in slaw, but I think that would be refreshing and delicious : )

    ReplyDelete
  5. Replies
    1. Thank you. The bread in the background was even a home made sourdough tin loaf (50% rye).

      Delete

I would love to read your comments but please don't include links in them.

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.