Tuesday 24 July 2012

Broccoli and Cheddar Mini Quiches for the Whole Family

This is a variation on the mini quiche recipe I posted back in May.  Driven mainly because I didn't have all of the ingredients in!  That said, it was interesting and successful to switch some of the ingredients, you'd be far more likely to have them all in the house without popping to the shops, the pastry is a little easier to handle and the end result was none the worse for it.




Broccoli and Cheddar Quiches - makes approx 14-16

Ingredients

Shortcrust pastry

120g, 6oz Plain flour
110g, 4oz Unsalted butter plus a tiny knob
A couple of tbsp water

Filling

Small broccoli spears
2 eggs
50ml milk
75ml full fat greek yoghurt
100g, 3.5oz Vintage (sharp) cheddar

Method

Rub the butter into the flour until it resembles breadcrumbs.  Add in only enough water to make a dough and bring it together with your hands (don't handle too much, pastry likes to be cold.)

You should never need to grease a pan for pastry but I found if I take a tiny knob of butter and rub it into the fairy cake (cup cake) pan really lightly, it makes these come out much more easily.

Roll out the pastry and use a cutter to cut out circles.  Press gently into the tin and then put into the fridge until ready to cook.

Cook the mini florets of broccoli in boiling water for 3 minutes then run under cold water to cool them down and stop the cooking.

Preheat the oven to 180-200oC (350-400F).

Grate the cheese and mix with the egg, yoghurt and milk.  I used Davidstow Cornish Crackler for these and I think they do need a really strong cheddar.

Bake the pastry in the oven for 5 minutes.  Take the cases out and press them down if they've puffed up.  Put a couple of small florets of broccoli in each and then pour in some of the egg mixture.

Bake for a further 13-15 minutes or until cooked through and browning.  Use a blunt knife to ease them out of the pan.



Serve warm or cool on a wire rack then refrigerate and eat either the same day or the next day.  Great for picnics or lunchboxes!

I've linked this to Totally Tasty Tuesdays and Meatless Mondays!




6 comments:

  1. These look fabulous. I don't think they'd last too long here..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! They lasted one picnic with a few left for my husband's lunch.

      Delete
  2. These are cute! Of course they look tasty too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I don't think it makes much difference to my son but some toddlers really like toddler sized food so things like this can encourage them to give it a go!

      Delete
  3. How lovely these look!:)
    I love the recipe and I think it could be great for a party too.

    BTW - thank you for your visit at my blog (Chocolate Cherry Layer Cake) - you can find the translator on top left side bar

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah thank you! I am a typical Brit, no language skills beyond enough French, German, Greek, Spanish, Hungarian and Czech to order a beer (priorities).

      Delete

I would love to read your comments but please don't include links in them.

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.