Saturday 28 July 2012

Toddler Chilli - but great for adults too

I posted a baby chilli recipe some time back and if you do have a baby, that's probably the best one for you.  Mild without being flavourless but not really a kick.

My son went off the baby chilli recipe a while back and I couldn't figure out why.  It was only when I was talking to someone online about giving their toddler food with more flavour that it occurred to me that he might like something a bit spicier nowadays so here it is with more flavour and just cooked on the hob.  This would be fine to cook in a slow cooker but it was just being used for something else at the time!




Chilli for toddlers - makes approx 4-6 toddler portions

Ingredients

200g Beef mince
1 tsp oil
1 tin Red Kidney Beans, drained
1/2 tin Chopped tomatoes
1/2 red pepper chopped finely (you can use frozen peppers if liked)
1 small courgette (zucchini) finely diced
1 onion, finely chopped
1 clove of garlic, finely chopped
1 tsp sweet smoked paprika
1 tsp sweet paprika
Sprig of thyme
A couple of sprigs of oregano
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp unsweetened cocoa powder
Pinch of cumin seeds
Bay leaf
1 dried chilli, seeds removed.  Use less or more if liked (strength of chillis vary)
Ground black pepper
Beef stock cube

Method

Fry the onion and courgette together until softening.  Add the beef, garlic and pepper.  Add the chilli, paprikas and cumin.  Then add in all of the other ingredients.  Stir and simmer for an hour or so or until the mince and vegetables are fully cooked and soft.  This can be cooked in a slow cooker.

Serve or alternatively this freezes really well.  My son loved picking out the beans and then tried the meat and ate it all.

Great served with rice, potato wedges, sweet potato wedges or boiled potatoes.  Alternatively why not try it as a quesadillas filling?  If you want to make something for a baby or younger toddler and you're not confident your child will like the spice, why not try the baby chilli recipe.


On a different topic, a few weeks back, I was planning my outfit for the Britmums Brilliance in Blogging awards where I was a finalist in the 'tasty' category.  I decided while I was in Melton Mowbray to get myself measured for some new underwear.  Nothing like feeling confident from the bottom up!  I went to an absolutely fantastic lingerie shop called JJs Lingerie.  Not only were they happy to measure me (what is it with some shops insisting you have to have an appointment?)  They also kept an eye on my toddler for me, reading a book to him to keep him entertained.  Why aren't all shops like this?  So many shops, small and big make you feel awful when you come in with a toddler or baby.  (By the way I have no connection to JJs, I just like to reward great service!)  So if you're in Leicestershire, give it a go.  There's also the excellent Deli Italia around the corner too for a great coffee and cake after purchasing your new bra.

I've linked this up here and I've linked this to Totally Tasty Tuesdays here and herbs on a Saturday here:


Herbs on Saturday

2 comments:

  1. Great idea to have a recipe suitable for littlies. Thanks for linking it in to Food on Friday. Cheers

    ReplyDelete

I would love to read your comments but please don't include links in them.

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.