Tuesday 10 July 2012

Baked prawns for babies, toddlers and adults

My son loves prawns.  This is a simple mixture of hot baked prawns which is popular with adults and kids alike.  I remember having something very similar in a tapas bar in Madrid before I became Mrs Mamacook.  The terracotta dishes were put onto a griddle and cooked over hot coals.  It's not quite replicating the gorgeous garlicky smokiness of those prawns but it's not bad.  I do love that attitude in Spain though.  This particular tapas bar only served four different things; prawns with garlic, deep fried prawns, grilled prawns and grilled langoustine (alongside wine of course).  There is something to be admired at finding what you're good at in life and sticking to it.

I buy prawns frozen and defrost them.  A lot of seafood is previously frozen even if it's sold as chilled, particularly if it's something from far afield.  Also having been kept frozen means it's been kept at a temperature bacteria can't grow at.  Another bonus when feeding kids.  It's worth stocking up when they are on offer as raw prawns can be pretty pricey.



Baked Prawns for Babies, Toddlers and Adults  Serves 2 adults and 1 toddler

Ingredients

250g Raw, peeled prawns
1 fat clove of garlic, finely sliced (or two if they're a bit small)
2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
A sprig of thyme
Some parsley, about 1 tbsp when chopped
Freshly ground black pepper

Method

Butterfly the prawns by using a sharp knife and cutting down the curved back.  You might be able to see a dark small tube.  If it is dark take it out (it's the prawn's intestine and if it's dark, it's full of something rather unpleasant!)

Put the prawns into a baking dish with the oil, thyme and garlic and a good couple of grinds of black pepper.  At this point the prawns can be put into the fridge so they are ready to cook when you're ready so you could prepare them in the morning.

When you are ready to cook them, preheat the oven to 220oC and cook for 6-8 minutes or until cooked through.  The preheating is important because it's such a short cooking time.  Sprinkle with parsley and serve.  For adults a bit of salt on them is definitely a good thing.

With crusty bread, this goes down a treat.  My son, a keen prawn and garlic lover was always going to be a fan but what was a surprise was the boquerones en vinagre (marinated anchovies) which he was also stealing off my plate.  Hmm, got to love toddler tapas!

Madrid; I really must go back there someday

I've linked up here.

Although the photo was just taken with a simple compact digital camera, I've still linked it up to crispphotoworks!

7 comments:

  1. Congrats, just passed the versatile blogger award to you! Head on over to The Ease of Freeze for your badge. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This recipe looks really nice and easy to cook. I'm allergy to prawns but I would love to cook this for my husband and son.

    Your blog is awesome with lots of yummy mummy's cooking and happy to follow you via twitter and blogger :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm more slummy mummy than yummy mummy but thank you!!!!

      Delete
  3. I love these! I agree with your comment on my blog. Sometimes it's very difficult to focus and take time to take photos when you have a family to feed. You are doing a great job! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I don't think it came out badly considering it was just on a compact camera. Sometimes I get the chance to photograph my portion as my son eats his but it's tricky and not really fair for him to get delayed too much!

      Delete
  4. I love your photos. Thank you soo much for supporting the linkie x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No problem. I'll do so this month too!

      Delete

I would love to read your comments but please don't include links in them.

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.