Thursday 11 August 2011

Scrambled Eggs for Babies and Toddlers


I would hesitate normally to include such a simple recipe but if the numbers of people who buy ready meals and ready prepared children's foods are anything to go by, perhaps there is a lack of knowledge and / or fear that eggs are not nutritious or should not be eaten in large quantities.  It used to be recommended to eat no more than 2-3 a week because of the cholesterol content but it's been found in recent years that the kind of cholesterol found in egg doesn't really impact your cholesterol levels in your blood.  

It also used to be recommended to avoid eggs; I'm not sure whether it was the yolk or the white or the entire egg but the NHS has given the green light to eggs for babies over 6 months.


Eggs are very nutritious and one of the few foods to naturally contain vitamin D which is a common deficiency due to people staying out of the sun and applying lots of sun screen to prevent skin cancer and skin ageing so it's all good!

Scrambled Egg - Suitable for babies over 6 months, ideal for babies on soft lumps or finger foods.

Ingredients - serves 1 (if your child doesn't want it all, I wouldn't keep it)

1 egg
A splash of full fat milk

Method

Crack the egg into a bowl and whisk in a small amount of milk.  Microwave on high for 30 seconds.  Have a whisk.  Microwave again for 20 more seconds, whisk again and then microwave for 10 more seconds or until fully cooked (if under 1 year old, can serve a little softer when they're older if liked).

Sorry, I should have said, I have an 'E' or 800W microwave so the cooking times may need to be adjusted for yours (and I found my old 'E' microwave cooked a little quicker so keep an eye on it.)  Note that if you cook a bigger portion, you will need to cook for longer.

If you fancy a lovely breakfast for Mummy, try my vanilla French toast.


Or my delicious cherry pancakes:



8 comments:

  1. We have a big scrambled egg fan in our house. We have chickens which lay green eggs. Someone told me that they are lower in cholesterol, do you know if that is true? Thanks N

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm sorry I have no idea! I'll have to look around!

    ReplyDelete
  3. All eggs have the same amount of cholesterol if naturally laid.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Actually it's also worth considering that dietary cholesterol isn't the same as blood cholesterol too. Eggs were seen as an unhealthy food but their reputation has been somewhat restored of late. They also keep you pretty full for a while.

    I am fascinated MamaC, how do you make a hen lay an egg unnaturally? My mind is boggling!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Used this recipe for my 7 month old daughter. She loved it and it was so easy to make. Although a used some of her formula milk instead

    ReplyDelete
  7. Just tried this with a splash of breastmilk on the cooktop with a nonstick pan. My 6 month old loved being able to use her "raking" grasp on the tray table and explore "baby led weaning"

    ReplyDelete

I would love to read your comments but please don't include links in them.

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.