Saturday 7 January 2012

Sugar Free Flapjack for babies, toddlers and adults

Well not strictly sugar free but there's no added sugar, no sweeteners and no cheating with honey or any syrup either.  This is also full of lovely high fibre ingredients so incredibly filling and will keep you sated for a while.




Sugar Free Flapjacks - makes 16 small squares

Ingredients

150g stoned dates, chopped
5 tbsp apple juice
150g unsalted butter (or margarine if you prefer)
100g sultanas
225g porridge oats
1 tsp cinnamon

Method

Preheat the oven to 170oC (fan) slightly higher for non fan assisted.

Pour the apple juice over the dates and (try) to blend them together using a stick blender.  I say 'try' because it's fairly hard work.  Don't worry if they don't all blend in.

Melt the butter in a saucepan then add the date mixture and the sultanas.  Heat gently until it's all combined as some sticky goo.

Add the oats and cinnamon then turn into a lined deep square or rectangular baking dish sprayed with spray oil or greased with butter.  Bake for 20-25 minutes or until browned on top.  Cut into 16 squares and leave until fully cooled in the dish (they break apart otherwise).



These were a hit with my toddler and went down a treat with a cup of tea for mummy too!  Apologies for the poor photography, I'm back to using my phone today.  Boo hiss.

Or if you would like a full on buttery flapjack for grown ups, try this recipe;



If you like this, why not try my other recipe for no added sugar flapjack, see the photo below, which, dare I say it...  I think is better!




Got some oats left after making this?  Why not try making some no added sugar mini muffins with oats?  Or why not try making some bircher muesli?  Fancy something else with dates?  Give my date loaf a whirl, it has no added sugar either!

16 comments:

  1. These look amazing! I love that you use dates as the main sweetener. I will have to try these very soon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, I have no idea how long they'll last, they only lasted 2 days in our house before being eaten. Even got a thumbs up from my sugar loving husband!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I got recommended your blog by my friend. I'm glad that I've visited here. I'll try to make these to put in my children's lunch boxes. They look lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just made these. They are yummy. I used raisins instead of sultanas and halved the number as we aren't huge dried fruit fans.
    I'm meant to be taking them to a party tomorrow...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No problem! Raisins and sultanas are pretty interchangeable (it's all dried grapes at the end of the day). Hope they go down well at the party!

      Delete
  5. What a fabulous recipe - thank you! Didn't last long here either :)

    I have put a dairy free orange flavoured version on my blog and linked back to you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you like and as Louis Walsh would say "You made it your own!"

      Delete
  6. i dont have any apple juice, i suppose i could juice some apples but could i just blend the dates with water?
    they look delicious though! i am going to try these, my mum is diabetic so she could enjoy them as well!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would recommend using juice as that's where part of the natural sweetness comes from. Maybe use a different juice?

      Delete
  7. Yummy! The whole family liked them, especially my fussy 1 year old :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. this is one i'll have to try, yum!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love these! SO easy to make and my 1yr old adores them. I used to but the extortionately expensive packs of organic flapjack type bars, but these are loads better. I cook a batch, keep a few out and freeze the rest. After chopping into small bars I wrap each bit individually in bit of greaseproof paper before putting in a tub in the freezer. That way it's really easy to grab one out in the morning, ready for snack time later.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Zoe, I'm glad your little one likes them. This is why I left Mamacook going; although I'm not posting here anymore because my son is now at school, I do still love hearing that people are still using my recipes. Thanks for letting me know!

      Delete

I would love to read your comments but please don't include links in them.

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.