Monday 23 April 2012

Oat and Mango biscuits for babies and toddlers

Some crumbly biscuits, slightly sweet but no added sugar.

You might never have encountered dried mango before.  My son likes dried fruit (who doesn't) and I saw a pack in CO-OP recently.  Most dried mango contains added sugar but this didn't.  I have to say it was delicious.  I'm not much of a fresh mango fan but this was like a sweet, tangy fruit leather.

As it is naturally super sweet, I used some for these biscuits.  A big hit with my 23 month old.  He ate four as a snack.




Oat and Mango Biscuits - makes around 24 depending on size

Ingredients

90g Plain flour
25g Porridge oats
70g Unsalted butter
35g Unsweetened Dried Mango, finely chopped
1 tsp Vanilla extract
1 tsp Water

Method

Preheat the oven to 200oC or 400F.

Put the flour, oats, butter, mango and vanilla extract into a food processor.  Process for a minute or so, it will start to come together.  Add as much water as needed to bring to a dough, I just needed 1 tsp.

Kneed lightly and then roll out until 2mm thick (just less than a tenth of an inch).  Cut out the shapes you like and place on a baking tray lined with baking paper.  Bake for 7-8 minutes, (possibly slightly less as mine were a little overdone) until starting to brown.

Cool on a wire rack.

Hmm.  Brew.

These freeze well if frozen raw interleaved with baking paper.  You can cook them from frozen in a preheated oven as before for 8-10 minutes.  Mine were done in 8.

2 comments:

  1. I've found no added sugar dried Mango in Julian Graves in the UK, too! Can't wait to make these, hopefully I won't eat them all before snack time this afternoon!

    ReplyDelete

I would love to read your comments but please don't include links in them.

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.