Thursday 5 April 2012

Kachumber (Indian Salad)

Who says Indian has to be unhealthy?  Far from it.  Despite the use of ghee in traditional Indian cookery, there is also a wonderful use of vegetables.

This is my take on Kachumber, a traditional Indian salad.


Kachumber - serves 2 adults

Ingredients

1/2 large onion, finely diced
Approx 2 inches / 5 cm cucumber, finely diced
2 ripe tomatoes, finely diced
1/2 tsp sugar (miss out if on a sugar free diet or substitute for a natural sweetener)
Juice of half a lemon (or lime)
Salt to taste
A large pinch of chilli powder (or garam masala if you prefer it milder and more fragrant.)

Method

Mix all of the ingredients in a bowl, taste and adjust the seasoning to your liking.


If you've liked what you've read, please vote for me in the Britmums Brilliance in Blogging (BIB) awards in the "Tasty" category.  All of the shortlisted nominees are here and the voting form is here.

Also it must be awards season because I'm going for a MAD blog award too.  Please nominate here for any applicable categories if you feel so inclined!  (You don't need to nominate in every category if you don't want to.)

I've linked this up to the very lovely Diet Dessert and Dogs Linky and a linky on food photography.  (I am trying to improve...)

11 comments:

  1. I always order the Indian salad! Should totally make my own, yours looks amazing x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks it's very easy. I was also really impressed with the simplicity but flavour of the Indian carrot salad I made. It's worth a go if you've never tried it. Both of them are super easy.

      Delete
  2. Splendid capture and the salad looks tasty as well!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha ha. Well I have no idea what 'capture' is but I like the sound of 'splendid'!

      Delete
  3. Looks very tasty, so fresh. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's why it's such a nice accompaniment to a curry. When I travelled in India they often used to serve curries with simple salads dressed with lemon juice and salt. It took me about 2 weeks to stop worrying about the food poisoning risk and eat it. Very glad I did.

      Delete
  4. This salad looks delicious, and healthy too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Give it a go! I find I crave it when I'm eating curry now to cut through the richness.

      Delete
    2. I took your advice and did a quick fridge raid, and it turned out pretty well! Really enjoyed the Kachumber, and it was perfect with a simple fried fish meal. Thanks for the awesome recipe! Oh, voted for you too, good luck!

      Delete
    3. Cool and thanks for the vote!

      Delete
  5. I sometimes make a similar salad, but didn't realise it had a name!

    ReplyDelete

I would love to read your comments but please don't include links in them.

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.