Friday 13 April 2012

Dairy Free Pancakes

Regular readers will know my son recently had a temporary lactose intolerance which meant he couldn't have normal milk for a few weeks.  My short experience has given me a lot of respect for people who have to cope with this every day.

So I've looked at my pancake recipe and adapted it to make it milk free.  If you have a lactose intolerance you may be able to use butter, it depends upon your sensitivity (I think, I'm no expert) but substitute for non dairy margarine if you need to.




Milk Free Banana Pancakes - makes plenty to eat now and for the freezer

Ingredients

225g SR flour
2 ripe bananas, peeled
300ml water
1 tsp vanilla extract
2 eggs

For frying - a knob of butter or non dairy margarine

Syrup (optional if butter is tolerated, or use maple syrup if you can't eat butter.)
3 tbsp light muscovado sugar
1/4 - 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
Splash water
20g approx butter

Method

Blend the flour, bananas, water, vanilla and eggs together.  Heat a non stick frying pan on a medium to high heat.  Put the knob of butter or marg onto some greaseproof paper and quickly rub it over the pan. Do this carefully, don't burn yourself!

Pour three approx 5cm, 2 inch diameter pancakes in the pan and flip over when bubbles appear and burst on the top.  You will need to keep adjusting the heat as you go.  Cook on the second side until browned.

To make the syrup if using, heat the sugar, cinnamon and water in a pan until the sugar is dissolved.  Swirl don't stir the pan.  When it starts boiling up, add the butter and take off the heat, swirling to melt in and it will form a nice, thick syrup.

For babies and toddlers, serve these as they are, they don't need the syrup.  They make ideal breakfast, pudding or snack food.

If you've liked what you've read, please vote for me in the Britmums Brilliance in Blogging (BIB) awards in the "Tasty" category.  All of the shortlisted nominees are here and the voting form is here.

Also it must be awards season because I'm going for a MAD blog award too.  Please nominate here for any applicable categories if you feel so inclined!  (You don't need to nominate in every category if you don't want to.)

I've linked this here and here.

3 comments:

  1. These look great. My 27 month old son on a dairy free diet currently due to suspected lactose intolerance. I am really interested in finding some new recipes and your blog is great - thank you!
    I wonder could you freeze these pancakes and then heat in toaster from frozen?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You can definitely freeze them, I tend to either let them defrost naturally and serve cold (only take a couple of hours to defrost) or defrost in the microwave and allow to cool enough to eat.

      Delete
  2. It is great that you given people a dairy free version.

    ReplyDelete

I would love to read your comments but please don't include links in them.

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.