Tuesday 10 April 2012

Chicken and Bean stew for Toddlers and Adults

This was inspired by a recipe on the good food website but I've changed some of the instructions and the cooking method and I'm very pleased with the results.

If there can be a summery stew then this is it.  Vibrant with tomatoes, paprika and pepper but full of nutritious chicken and borlotti beans.




Chicken Stew for Toddlers and Adults  Would easily serve 2 adults and a toddler with leftovers for the freezer

Ingredients

6 Chicken thighs, skin removed (you can leave in the bones, see later)
80g Chorizo sausage, chopped into chunks
2 garlic cloves, sliced
500g Passata (sieved tomatoes)
1 tsp mild smoked paprika
1 whole red pepper, chopped into small pieces
1 Tin of Borlotti beans, drained (240g drained weight)
Parsley, to serve

Method

Fry the chicken in a dry non stick frying pan until browned.  Put into a slow cooker.  Fry the chorizo until the fat is starting to run then put into the slow cooker too.  Use a tbsp boiling water to deglaze the pan and pour that in.

Add the passata, paprika, pepper, beans and garlic to the slow cooker and cook on high for around 3-4 hours or until the chicken is fully cooked and soft.

If you've used bone in thighs, take them out and slip out the bone (it will come out easily) then return the chicken meat to the cooker.

Serve up either as it is with parsley on top and crusty bread on the side or mixed in with pasta (a good choice for toddlers with big energy needs) or with salad or vegetables if you prefer.

I've put some in the freezer because as it's a slow cooked meal it does freeze and reheat well (the chicken breaks up a little).

It's funny because this is the kind of adult food my husband and I eat a lot, every time I give my son something strongly flavoured he's not had before, I'm still slightly surprised when he eats it, (even though he's a curry fan) but he didn't just eat it, he LOOOOOVED it.

Super cheap recipe to make too. I think the chicken was around £1.99, the chorizo about 70p for the quantity I used and the remaining ingredients were pennies.

If you have any chorizo left, why not make my chorizo and lentil soup?

If you've liked what you've read, please vote for me in the Britmums Brilliance in Blogging (BIB) awards in the "Tasty" category.  All of the shortlisted nominees are here and the voting form is here.

Also it must be awards season because I'm going for a MAD blog award too.  Please nominate here for any applicable categories if you feel so inclined!  (You don't need to nominate in every category if you don't want to.)

1 comment:

  1. Great Blog! I am a new follower. Please follow me back. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete

I would love to read your comments but please don't include links in them.

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.