Saturday 7 April 2012

Carrot Cake for babies and toddlers

I adapted this from a recipe I found on the Good Food website to make it without added sugar.

I've called it "5 a day cake" because it has so much hidden fruit and veg in it; clementines, sultanas, carrots and apples.  If only I'd pushed it one more...   Really it's a carrot cake and what could be more appropriate at Easter?  I'm not suggesting cake should substitute for fresh fruit and vegetables, but in my view, if you are going to have cake anyway, why not have some healthier ingredients in there?  Much better than a pack of chocolate buttons for your little angels anyway.

This isn't super sweet but it was a hit with my son so I've included it.  Adults might find not find it sweet enough for their tastes but you could always add a little icing when your little one isn't looking...




5 a day Carrot Cake for babies and toddlers - makes 12 squares

Ingredients

100g unsalted butter
100g sultanas
Juice and zest of 2 clementine
150g SR flour
1 tsp mixed spice
1 tsp ginger
1/2 tsp bicarbonate of soda
2 eggs
100g carrot, grated
50g apple grated (including the skin but not the core)

Method

Heat the juice, zest and sultanas in a microwave for 1 minute.  In a separate bowl melt the butter in a microwave.  Mix the two together.

Preheat the oven to 160oC (fan oven).

Grease and line a small baking dish.  Mine was 22cm square.

Weigh out the flour, spices, bicarb, carrot and apple into a bowl.  Add the eggs to the butter / juice mix then quickly mix into the dry ingredients.  Once mixed, pour into the baking dish.



Then put into the oven for 20-25 minutes or until fully cooked and springing back when pressed.



Allow to cool, then cut into 12 squares (or the size that you like).

Keeps in a tin for a day or so, freezes well.

If you like this, why don't you try the recipe for date cake with no added sugar?


If you've liked what you've read, please vote for me in the Britmums Brilliance in Blogging (BIB) awards in the "Tasty" category.  All of the shortlisted nominees are here and the voting form is here.

Also it must be awards season because I'm going for a MAD blog award too.  Please nominate here for any applicable categories if you feel so inclined!  (You don't need to nominate in every category if you don't want to.)

This has been linked to Friday Food Flicks.

8 comments:

  1. Mine didn't come out so well :(
    It tastes ok (actually more like a baked dessert that should be served with home made custard!)
    I'll try it again with less ginger & a smaller baking dish next time & see if I have better luck x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sorry about that. Was your baking dish bigger than mine? Still at least it tasted ok?

      Delete
    2. My baking dish is a bit bigger, yes -- About 30x22cm I'd say.. I think it tastes yummy - I'd have it as an adult dessert though (with custard). I think the flavors are a bit complex for my 11 month old - she actually got sick when she tasted it :( She seems to prefer blander tasting foods, like couscous / rice. I'm mostly trying to get some veg into her as she's not a fan at all. She LOVES your 'little golden men' (I baked golden hearts this week) ! Thanks for your fab recipes!!

      Delete
    3. It's tricky when you change the size of dishes for baking, it can be quite a big difference. I'm glad something has been a success though!!!

      Delete
    4. Hi lovely cake my baba loves it :-) xx

      Delete
    5. Hi lovely cake my baba loves it :-) xx

      Delete
  2. I made this for my baby's first birthday, and it was lovely, so thank you.
    As it was a birthday cake I wanted icing, so I used a date / cream cheese recipe (no sugar) from the Baby Led Weaning cookbook. That went with it well, and overall it was quite sweet enough for me. It also made the fifth fruit/veg!
    (I also used a round tin, 25cm across which is the same size as 22cm square.)

    This is quite a small cake in quite a large tin, so it comes out pretty flat (I don't think it was just me not making it rise enough). That's probably helpful for a baby, though, as it makes it easier for them to hold without it falling to bits.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah it's not mega deep, more like a slice really as you can see on the top pic. Glad it worked well.

      Delete

I would love to read your comments but please don't include links in them.

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.