Monday 18 April 2011

Spinach and Sweet Potato Mini Muffins

The online irritable nurse is still taking pot shots at me, telling me off for using butter rather than margarine.  Personally, I would always rather use butter.  Obviously everything in moderation but I don't think people realise just how artificial a product margarine is.  This might make some interesting reading for the health conscious sandal wearing types:


Why margarine is worse for us than butter
The trans fat debate
The palm oil debate


Talking about sandal wearing, my husband raised an eyebrow at this idea for a recipe but was generally impressed at the results.


I made this thinking of ideas for snack foods which were salt free; stupidly I didn't think that of course bicarb and baking powder contain sodium as well.  Mental head slap there especially considering my virtual chats regarding nutrition.  Anyway, this is adapted from a Hugh Fearnley-Whittingstall recipe; he encouraged me to experiment so I have.  I've reduced the size so they're made in individual cupcake cases so that will cut down the sodium in each portion and are more baby friendly.


After making these I might add a quick spray of spray olive oil to each cup case next time (or splash out on some silicone cupcake cases) as the mix did stick to the cases a bit, probably because it's so low in (naturally produced) fat.

Spinach and Sweet Potato Mini Muffins - makes 24 cupcake size muffins






Ingredients

80g Unsalted Butter plus a small knob (or substitute for olive oil if the thought of animal fat offends...)
1 small onion, diced
150g Frozen chopped spinach
250g Plain Flour
2 tsp Baking Powder
1/2 tsp Bicarbonate of Soda
2 eggs
200g Full Fat Plain Yoghurt
3 tbsp Full Fat Milk
150g Sweet Potato, peeled and grated
A few grindings of nutmeg

Method

Heat the oven 200 degrees C and line two bun tins with 24 cupcake cases.

Warm the knob of butter in a saucepan and soften the onions.  Add the spinach and a touch of water.  Cover and cook until fully melted.  Cool.

Put the flour, baking powder, bicarb and nutmeg in a bowl.  In a jug whisk together the melted butter, eggs, yoghurt and milk.  Pour into the dry ingredients and as you start to stir, add in the potato and cooled spinach mix.  Don't mix too much.  Add a generous dsp into each cake case.  Bake for around 14-16 mins until they bounce back.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love to read your comments but please don't include links in them.

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.