Sunday 8 September 2013

Porridge for Babies, Toddlers and Grown Ups

Why don't more people eat porridge?  I think part of the reason is people think it's difficult.  It's not at all but if you make it on the hob it makes no sense to cook it for 1 and the pan ends up pretty mucky.  Making it in the microwave solves all of that.




Until March this year, I was commuting for up to 90 minutes morning and night.  I'd been working at the site for several months before I realised they served porridge in the canteen.  Seeing as I had to leave before 6am to be at work on time; I never had breakfast before I left home.  It was such a joy then when the canteen opened and a steaming dish full of thick porridge went onto the counter.

The portions were huge as well.  Way too big for me really but I normally finished it anyway and ended up having the smallest snack at lunchtime.  That's the great thing about oats, they fill you up.

So, this is a more sensibly sized portion for me but my son (at the age of 3) being a lover of oats would probably eat the same amount.  Increase or decrease accordingly (and you might need to change the microwave instructions too.)

Microwave Porridge Oats - Serves 1

Ingredients

1/2 cup, 40g, 1.4oz Porridge Oats - use confirmed wheat free oats if suffering from a gluten allergy*
1 cup, 220ml, 8 fl oz Milk (use full fat for under 2 year olds)

To serve
Honey (over 1's only), brown sugar, cinnamon, golden syrup (optional)

Method

In a large jug, mix the oats and milk.

Microwave on full power for 2 minutes, stir then microwave for 3 more minutes.  You might need to decrease or increase the cooking time depending on the power of your microwave and how old it is (they tend to lose power over time).  Make sure it's bubbling and thick before serving.

Allow to cool, even for adults a little cooling time is needed (it somehow ends up molten!)  Add a little cold milk if needed to children's portions to speed this up or if you like it a bit thinner anyway.  Just add the milk and whisk it in.



Serve with one of the topping options if liked!  (No honey for the under 1s though please.)

This is great for babies who are starting to be on more coarse and mashed foods, i.e. from the age of 6 months.  Also because it's pretty sticky, it's a great food to start self feeding with, either with hands or with a spoon.  Messy but lots of fun!

After my posts about food thrift last week, it's well worth remembering that you can buy a kilo of porridge oats for 75p and 4 pints, 2.27L of milk for £1.  Microwave cooking is very low in energy usage so the total cost of this breakfast, even topped with a tsp of golden syrup (at an additional 2 pence) is less than 15p.  Even if you're not choosing to be thrifty, that's surely a good thing!

Keep an eye out on my posts for a "Make it Thrifty" comment at the end.  I'm going to start this with new and old posts so anyone on a limited budget can see how to adapt a recipe to make it cheaper to make.

*Note, although oats are naturally gluten free; there is inevitable cross contamination in the field between different grains.  You can get some oats which are confirmed as gluten free.  If you are on a gluten free diet, look out for these specifically.

I've linked this here.

25 comments:

  1. Now the weather is turning cooler, I'll be getting out the porridge oats. Definitely fills you up and keeps you warm. Found you via the weekend blog hop and love your blog! Will be reading lots more as I'm weaning my Son :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I went for a run this morning. It must have been 6 or 7 degrees at best. The thought of warming up with porridge when I got home kept me going!

      Delete
  2. Here in Finland I believe they make porridge (with other grains than oat too) quite often. I know I can find it daily in our canteen also and I hear talk of others eating it too. Like you say, it is easy, filling and cheap! I know kids are given it for breakfast and even an evening snack before bedtime, at least that is why my boy gets!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a good idea. I'm not sure how you'd get hold of other rolled grains in the UK but I'm tempted to try.

      Delete
  3. Thanks for the microwave tip. I use my expressed breastmilk instead of cow's milk and that's free so even thriftier.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow that's commitment. I could never express enough! Great idea though if you can for your baby.

      Delete
  4. I do love a bowl of porridge, it has been too warm for it of late but I'm looking forward to having it again now the weather is turning!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it was 6 or 7 degrees for my run this morning. It made me feel like porridge was in order!

      Delete
  5. Thanks for linking up at Swap N Share Sunday.
    I never ate oatmeal or porridge until about 4 years ago when a friend showed me how she cooked hers. I was hooked from then on.
    Dawn
    Spatulas On Parade

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've just ordered some golden syrup in my food shop... I'm slightly addicted!

      Delete
  6. I love porridge and like adding loads of yummy extras to it but I'm a total purist when it comes to the porridge itself. You can't beat quality pinhead oatmeal, water and a touch of salt when the bubbles gloop. Oh, and only stirred clockwise :p

    Then adding whisky (adults only ;) )and brown sugar makes it perfect for cold winters morning

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am looking forward to making porridge again now the weather is getting colder. Nothing better than a nice bowl of porridge with golden syrup before bed.

    Thank you for linking up to the Weekend Blog Hop

    Laura x x x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Before bed? Don't tell me there's another eating occasion, I'll end up the size of a house!

      Delete
  8. We love porridge in this household in the winter because our house is so cold. Thanks for linking up to #ThriftyThursday :-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. hmmm must start introducing porridge to my son.
    Great post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, it's certainly that time of year now!

      Delete
  10. I make my porridge by just adding boiling water to the oats, with a sprinkle of sea salt, then stirring and let them sit a bit. I like adding set honey to it for a topping :)
    My husband, who is Scottish, tells me that's not real porridge! :D But I, as a clueless foreigner that I am (I'm Romanian), just nod and enjoy my delicious fluffy oats :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hmm, I'm not sure that I'd just let them sit but traditionally they are made with water and salt, perhaps not the honey though! I sometimes don't cook oats to eat them, like when I make Bircher Muesli

      Delete
  11. I love much poridge, greeting from Belgium

    ReplyDelete
  12. I made a full sized adult portion for my son for breakfast. He ate it all and then had french toast! I'm not sure where he puts it all, either that or he will not be hungry AT ALL for the rest of the day!

    ReplyDelete
  13. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  14. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  15. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Have you had a look at my bircher muesli? It's a similar idea, like a fresher version of porridge for summer.

      Delete

I would love to read your comments but please don't include links in them.

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.