Monday 26 March 2012

Little Snack Biscuits for Babies and Toddlers

These were originally intended to be sweet biscuits but they didn't turn out to be as sweet as I expected, that said, they were surprisingly tasty and looked cute.  My son had three for a snack, asked for more, had three more, asked for more which is when Mummy said "maybe later..."

If you like these would be nice adult biscuits to serve with cheese, although perhaps the little man cutter I've used might not go down well with the Jones', a plain circular cutter would be more dinner party friendly!




Little Snack Biscuits - very crumbly, soft biscuits so suitable for toddlers and babies on finger foods able to cope with the crumbly texture - makes 20-30 depending on size

Ingredients

100g, plain flour (3.5 ounces)
15g, wheatgerm (0.5 ounces)
70g, unsalted butter (2.5 ounces) (or vegetable margarine if vegan or following a milk free diet.)
1 tbsp apple juice
1 tsp vanilla extract

Method

Preheat the oven to 200oC 400F.  Rub the butter into the flour and wheatgerm until it resembles breadcrumbs.  Mix the vanilla and juice and add in.  Kneed lightly to bring it together into a dough then roll out with a little of extra flour until half cm or so thick (approx 1/5th inch).



Cut out into whatever shapes you like, (you can bring the dough back together and reroll) and bake for 8-10 minutes or until golden and fully cooked.

My oven is a bit fierce so I found 10 minutes was too much, I'll do them for a little less next time.  Keep an eye on them.



These keep fine for two days in an airtight tin or box.  I've frozen some of these and I'm going to give them a go at cooking from frozen.  I'll keep you posted!

My son ate them saying "head" as he bit off the head, "toes" as the feet came off then "hands".  Cute, if slightly macabre.

Update:  I've tried cooking these from frozen and 12 minutes at 200oC 400F worked fine in my oven.

This has been linked to allergy free vintage cookery

If you've liked what you've read, please vote for me in the Britmums Brilliance in Blogging (BIB) awards in the "Tasty" category.  All of the shortlisted nominees are here and the voting form is here.

Also it must be awards season because I'm going for a MAD blog award too.  Please nominate here for any applicable categories if you feel so inclined!  (You don't need to nominate in every category if you don't want to.)

4 comments:

  1. Great idea - quick, simple and not too sweet sounding!

    mammasaver

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, no idea why I didn't think of it earlier really.

      Delete
  2. I just made these with guava juice (didn't have any apple) and a liberal shake of cinnamon in place of the vanilla essence. Yum! My 14 month old was asking for more :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow, love the fact you have guava juice kicking about but not apple! I have no idea what guavas taste like but I would think any sweeter juice would be fine. Glad your little one liked them!

      Delete

I would love to read your comments but please don't include links in them.

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.