Wednesday 26 October 2011

Popcorn for Toddlers (and Adults)

This has been something going through my head for a while.  The Mamacook household is a fairly thrifty place, partly due to necessity (currently buying a house with more than one loo, yay) and partly due to hating waste.  Anyway, Mr MC said he fancied some (popcorn) last night so I gave an idea I adapted from something I saw in yourhome Christmas made easy.  I'm a sucker for a Christmas food and craft mag.




It got be thinking about snack foods.  There is no reason per se why Popcorn should be "bad", it's not the corn, it's what you flavour it with; so, why not give some as a snack unflavoured?

Well it turned out to be a brainwave.  He happily munched away for his afternoon snack and Mummy and Daddy had the taste sensation of cinnamon popcorn while watching some trash on TV the night before.

Popcorn for Toddlers and Adults (see adaptations and cautions)

Ingredients

1 large handful of popcorn kernels (unpopped)
Spray oil or a little vegetable oil

To flavour:

A large knob of butter

Salted

Salt (well duh...)

Sweet Cinnamon

2 tsp cinnamon
2 tbsp sugar (I used golden caster sugar)
change the proportions if you like according to how much you like cinnamon!

Method

Heat a pan on the hob.  Add the corn and put on a preferably clear lid (it's so much easier when you can see what's going on.)  If you've never seen corn popping before, it's soooo cool!

Heat on a medium to high heat, keep shaking the pan, if there are signs of dark spots appearing on the grains, lower the heat slightly.  Eventually (seems like it takes ages) the popping will start.  Keep shaking the pan with the lid on until the popping starts to subside, then take off the heat.  Leave the pan covered until the popping completely stops.

It makes an amazing amount!



Remove some corn WARNING:  WATCH OUT FOR UNPOPPED KERNELS.  They aren't nice for adults and for a toddler could be a choking hazard.  Leave to cool then put in an airtight container and serve within 24 hours.

Spoon the rest of the popcorn into a serving bowl (doing it this way will make it easier to leave any unpopped kernels in the bottom.)  Melt the butter and pour over the rest of the popcorn (you might want to do this in two halves so it's evenly coated) and add the salt or cinnamon sugar mix in desired quantities.  Mix and serve.

I suppose there is no need to serve it plain to your child either, you can still avoid added salt and sugar by using spices (paprika might be good), or why not cheese popcorn?  Hmm, perhaps worth a try.  I'll keep you posted.

2 comments:

  1. Last time I made popcorn on the hob i nearly burnt down the flat! Tom then banned me from making it.

    On the up side he let me get a popcorn maker thanks to LIDL so now I can have popcorn for people who can't even cook popcorn. It also means you don't need to add oil or anything so even healthier (least till i load on the salt).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha! Kateri, it reminds me of the time you made coronation chicken, "ok, I've strained out the onions, now what do I do..."! Pah, salt, schmalt. Everything in moderation I say.

    ReplyDelete

I would love to read your comments but please don't include links in them.

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.