Sunday 23 October 2011

Apple 'jam' tarts for babies and toddlers adaptations from 6 months

These aren't really jam tarts as there isn't anything quite so sweet in them as jam but it is a cunning (if I say so myself) and tasty way to have a nice pudding without adding sugar to it.  My son and I had two each at lunchtime with a bit of cream (oops!)

There is an adaptation for younger babies so read on...




Yesterday I shared my cheese straws recipe and this recipe also uses short crust pastry.  There would be half a batch of the pastry left if you do as I have suggested and only make 4 (they don't keep that well) but you could easily whip up a batch of the cheese straws to use up the rest and any scraps.  If you would like to make more than this, just increase the quantity of filling.

Apple and cinnamon 'Jam' tarts for babies and toddlers - makes 4 with extra pastry left

Ingredients

Shortcrust pastry (you will use half for this recipe or alternatively double the remaining ingredients)
70g, 2.5 oz unsalted butter
100g, 3.5 oz plain flour
15g, 0.5 oz cornflour
2 dsp cold water

Remaining ingredients
1 large or 2 small dessert apples
Sprinkle of cinnamon

Method

Preheat the oven to 200oC, 400oF.

Grate the apples (including the skin) on a medium to fine grater.  I grate them whole and stop as I get to the core.  Add the cinnamon and microwave, uncovered for two minutes.  

At this point you could stop as this would be a great and simple 'pudding' for a baby 6 months plus.  Just allow to cool until at a suitable temperature for your child.



If continuing with the recipe, allow the filling to cool.

Rub the butter into the plain flour and cornflour until it resembles breadcrumbs.  A food processor makes this a piece of cake.  Add the water in gradually until it starts to come together.  Bring the pastry together with your hands and at this point you can chill it until you're ready to use it.

Roll out with a floured rolling pin until approx 2-3mm thick.  Cut rounds using a large pastry cutter and press into a fairy cake / cupcake tin.

Add 1 rounded tsp of the apple and cinnamon mix into each pastry round and bake in the oven for 15-18 minutes or until the pastry is cooked. 



Allow to cool before serving, best served the same day.   As you can see I used red skinned apples for these which gave the most fantastic colour.

2 comments:

  1. Why haven't I found your blog before? These are fantastic recipes and just up our street!

    Right - apron at the ready. I am going to try these lovely things this weekend!

    mammasaver

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cool! Thank you so much! I hope you like, please let me know!

    ReplyDelete

I would love to read your comments but please don't include links in them.

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.