Tuesday 1 April 2014

Seven a Day!

It was widely reported by British media today that official government advice on fruit and vegetables should perhaps change because 7 rather than 5 a day is what we should be aiming for.

This might be pretty scary to most of us who fail to get anywhere near.  Recent research indicated only 1 in 5 people manage to eat that level.  I was wondering why and feeling smug, then I had a moment of realisation.

Apples



I am currently busy, stressed, having problems with insomnia, trying to move house and so tired and this always, stupidly makes me eat poorly even though ultimately I end up feeling worse. The time I save eating rubbish is pointless when I'm operating at a sub par level.  I realised by 5pm today, worrying, I'd only eaten one fruit and no vegetables.  Me, mastermind of the hidden vegetable recipe!  I was shocked and a bit disappointed with myself.  This, I resolved, had to change.

So while having a guilt induced salad for my tea, I decided to challenge myself and try and eat the 7 portions a day of fruit and vegetables recommended in the study.

I'm trying this for a week for two reasons; one I wanted to shake myself out of the habit of eating rubbish and secondly because I wanted to see if it helped me feel better in such a short time.  Also although my son eats tonnes of fruit and vegetables, he's more of a fruit fan than a veggie one so it would do no harm to increase the amount in his diet too.

The key I think for getting fruit or veg in your diet is to include it in every meal, so here are some ideas I'm thinking of including so far.



Breakfast, tricky but some initial thoughts include
Bircher Muesli; home made quick muesli (or you can leave it sitting in the fridge overnight) with added fruits
Smoothies
Omelettes
Apple or Banana pancakes
Banana on toast


Lunch
Frittata with vegetables on the side
Quesadillas
Grated vegetables in salads or sandwiches
Fried rice
Sweetcorn fritters (even great reheated)


Tea
Hidden vegetable pasta sauce
Risotto
Sweet and sour
Mac and cheese (with hidden vegetables)

I figure this will be worth taking a week over, so this is my "7 in 7 challenge" if you like.  I'll post over the week to let you know how it's going.  If you have any suggestions please let me know!



If you like what you read, please consider nominating me in the Britmums BIB awards, especially the food category.  I do all this for no money, I don't get sponsorship, I don't do reviews for money, this blog is only for the love of it so it would just make my day to have a glass of fizz and meet some fantastic bloggers.

NOMINATE ME BiB 2014 FOOD

No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love to read your comments but please don't include links in them.

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.