Sunday 7 August 2011

Apple and Sultana Jalousie for Toddlers

I had some puff pastry which needed using up after making the tomato and goats cheese tart and so came up with this recipe.  It's a bit like a strudel but there are two reasons I wouldn't make a proper strudel for babies; one is I don't have the time nor inclination to make proper strudel pastry (which isn't filo btw, drives me nuts when I see something called a strudel when it's made with filo pastry) and also the result is somewhat firmer and so a bit more difficult to eat for your average child without molars.  Puff pastry although not soft, crumbles easily making it more melt in the mouth.

Although I've only suggested it's for toddlers, there's no sugar in this recipe so I'll leave it up to you whether you'd offer it to a younger child.  No idea how well it will freeze but my gut feel is I'll defrost in the fridge then warm through in the oven before cooling down to a safe temperature.
Apple and Sultana Jalousie - 4 toddler portions

Ingredients

Approx 150g Ready rolled puff pastry
2 Apples, peeled, cored and chopped into very small pieces (use eating or dessert apples)
40g Sultanas
1/4 tsp Mixed Spice
Small amount of milk

Method

Put the apples, sultanas, spice and a splash of water in a pan.  Heat through until the apples soften.  Cool down.

Get a square or rectangular piece of puff pastry and fill down one side with the apple mixture.  Fold over the other side and cut some vent holes in the top.  Brush with milk.

Bake in the oven at 200-220 degrees celcius for approx 25 mins or until well puffed and golden.

Cut slices and ensure they're cool enough before serving.  It does tend to get very hot.

I'd say it's not for adults, although it tastes ok, I'm certainly used to having at least some sugar sprinkled on the top of a jalousie and without it, there is a bit missing.  Nothing to stop you sprinkling on some sugar mind if you so wish.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love to read your comments but please don't include links in them.

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.