Wednesday 27 July 2011

Fried Apple and Cinnamon Pudding for Babies and Toddlers


I have to admit this wasn't my idea. I picked this up on a 'desserts' thread on a forum but it's such a good and simple idea, I thought I'd pass it on.








Sometimes I imagine my son as a teenager saying "but Mum I've never liked xxx"*
*Insert thing he's always liked here.

So for the past few days it's been fruit. My son loves fruit. Two weeks ago it was pretty much all you could guarantee he would eat, I mean if he'd had a bad eating day, satsumas, raspberries, strawberries, grapes, they were all going in, so much so I had to limit him because it was all getting a bit squishy at the other end.

But nada. I mean he went from deciding clementines weren't *quite* as nice as satsumas (actually, I'm with him there), then, well I don't fancy these green grapes but the red ones are ok. No, I've never liked blueberries! What are you feeding me strawberries for????

Anyway, I will keep offering. To stop, well therein lies the path of a fussy toddler and however heartbreaking it is to see (expensive and messy) fruit land on the floor, offering a few pieces then eating the rest myself if he's not interested will do me no harm.

But it's also a good idea to keep offering things which are new and things presented in new ways. So, in the spirit of that, here is an apple recipe. I've been a bit nervous about apples since he choked on one at 10 months old (I mean properly choked, not just gagged) but this makes them softer.


Fried Apples with Cinnamon - suitable for babies on finger foods (if traditional weaning, puree or mash before serving if you're not confident) - serves 1 hungry toddler but would probably serve 2 babies (perhaps use any leftovers mashed and mixed with plain greek yoghurt)

Ingredients

1 Apple, peeled, cored and cut into pieces appropriately sized for your child
Unsalted butter
Cinnamon or mixed spice

Method

Heat a knob (perhaps half an ounce) of butter in the pan, add the apple and as much or as little spice as you like. Fry until softening. Turn onto a plate and allow to cool until at a suitable temperature for your baby or toddler.

Went down a treat with my son and after which he then ate some halved grapes! Go figure!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love to read your comments but please don't include links in them.

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.