Monday 1 April 2013

Sugar Free Sweet Potato Scones for Babies, Toddlers and The Whole Family

I realised the freezer was lacking in baked goods today so I rustled these up to replenish my stocks.  It is handy if you have a few baked goods which aren't (too) naughty in the freezer as they tend to defrost pretty quickly and it's great if you're heading out to friends houses with your little one.  Much easier than passing a pot of dried fruit back to my son while on the M42 today (and much safer I suspect).

A pretty good result.  Part of me is tempted next time to add a touch of treacle to the mix but that would ruin it's "no added sugar" status and you could always serve them with jam and butter.


Sweet Potato Scones - makes approx 12-14

Ingredients

2 small - medium sized sweet potatoes, baked in their jackets (see note below), you need 200g of flesh.
4.5oz, 125g Self Raising Flour (or plain / all purpose flour and 1.5 tsp baking powder, use wholemeal SR if liked)
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp cinnamon
A few grindings of nutmeg
A scant 2oz, 50g butter or margarine (use dairy free if you're avoiding lactose or milk protein)
Up to 3 tbsp Apple Juice
Milk to brush on top (optional)

Method

Preheat the oven to 190oC, 375F, Gas Mark 5.

Scoop out the flesh from the jackets, you will need around 200g, 7oz.  If you have less or more just adapt the other quantities.  Mash it with a fork and make sure it's cool or cold.

Mix the flour, spices and baking powder.  Rub in the butter or marg until it resembles breadcrumbs.

Mix in the mashed sweet potato and enough apple juice to bring together into a dough.  It needs to be fairly soft.

Pat out on a floured board until it's about 2cm thick (a scant 1 inch).  Either cut out shapes, or, as I prefer because I don't like waste, use a sharp knife and cut squares.  It saves the effort of rerolling even if they don't end up looking perfect (although my son didn't mind).

Place onto a floured baking tray and brush with milk if liked (miss out if avoiding dairy).

Bake for 12 - 16 minutes until cooked through (mine took 14) then cool on a rack until cool enough to serve your child.  Serve as they are or if you prefer with butter and jam or fresh fruit and even cream for older kids and adults.

Best served on the day but all scones freeze well.

To bake sweet potatoes, prick the skin and put on a baking tray (they can leak sticky juices).  Bake for approx 45 mins or until very soft when squidged.  Ideal to do when you've already got something in the oven as it saves on electricity.

If you like these why don't you try:


Or


If you've liked this recipe and want to give me a little bit of encouragement, please consider nominating me in the Food category of the Britmums Brilliance in Blogging (BIBs) awards?  The URL of my website is http://mamacook.blogspot.co.uk/ or http://mamacook.blogspot.com/ and my twitter handle is @Mamacook_blog.  Last year I was honoured to make it to the finals.  I do this for no cash at all, this is purely for the passion for food!  Thank you kind readers!

I've linked this up to the allergy friendly lunchbox linky as it's added sugar free, egg free, can be dairy free and soy free.

6 comments:

  1. These sound great! And I just bought a sweet potato today. I'm thinking I'll steam mine to get it soft, as that is what I have been doing for my little guy, and I can steam other veggies at the same time. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooh good idea but maybe add a little less juice because it might be a little wetter.

      Delete
    2. I ended up buying 4 big-ish sweet potatoes and cooking 3 in the oven. I made a double batch (froze the rest for my little guy to eat later), but didn't add any juice, as the dough was wet enough in my opinion. They turned out lovely! Thank you this recipe, I've passed it on to a friend who I know will love it also.

      Delete
    3. Cool. Yeah, probably a play it by ear moment. It probably depends on the age of the sweet potato and how long you roast them for how wet they are.

      Delete
  2. Good morning! Your scones are featured today on Allergy Free Lunchbox Love as the most popular post from last week's link party :) Thanks for coming to the party!

    http://allergyfreecookery.blogspot.com/2013/04/allergy-friendly-lunchbox-love-41913.html

    Lisa @ Allergy Free Vintage Cookery

    ReplyDelete

I would love to read your comments but please don't include links in them.

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.