Tuesday 23 April 2013

Spice Biscuits

Biscuits without much sugar are pretty tricky but I gave this a go and they were very popular with the wee man.  Not strictly sugar free in a way as there's honey in them (so not baby friendly; sorry) but still much less sugar than a normal biscuit.

They're pretty crunchy and certainly spicy.  Also they're dairy free, wheat free (if you use gluten free oats) and egg free.  You never know when you need a good allergy friendly recipe!

Spice Biscuits - makes 8-10

Ingredients

100g, 3.5oz Porridge Oats
25g, a scant 1oz Dessicated Coconut (unsweetened)
2 tbsp Runny honey
2 tbsp Vegetable oil
1/4 tsp Baking Powder
1-2 tsp Cinnamon (depending on how much you like your spice)
A sprinkle of nutmeg
1/2 Vanilla extract

Method

Preheat the oven to 160oC / 320F / Gas Mark 3.

Mix the oats, coconut, baking powder, cinnamon and nutmeg together.  Separately mix the honey, oil and extract.

Mix the dry and wet ingredients together and then mush together.  Roll into balls and squish down onto a greased baking tray.

Bake for approx 20 minutes.  Allow to cool on a wire rack.  Keep once cool for 2-3 days in an airtight box or tin.

A bit of news... I've been shortlisted for a Brilliance in Blogging BIB award by Britmums!  Yes really! I'm so excited.  Thank you very much if you nominated me.  If you like the look of my blog and feel so inclined, I'd be honoured if you could help a bit more by voting for me in the 'food' category on this link.  The top rated, most voted for blogs will get through to the final (and seeing as I make no money from my blog, I'd love to get to go out for a night out!  I'm easily pleased!)

6 comments:

  1. These look delicious... I would think if the honey is baked in it is safe for a baby, also if you aren't using raw honey I think it would be safe.
    Thanks for sharing this recipe with us on foodie friday.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sadly no. Honey can contain spores of Clostridium botulinum which are very heat resistant. It only causes problems in older kids or adults if the spores germinate and grow. In infants though even the spores can make them ill so best avoided until your child is 1 year+

      Delete
  2. Try agave syrup if making for babies. I use it a lot as a substitute for honey

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good point. To be honest though I tried to limit sugar and sugar substitutes when my son was a baby but from a safety point of view that certainly seems sensible.

      Delete
  3. Hi! You have a golden gem here. These biscuits look delicious. I like that you have a nice variety of food choices including wheat/sugar/dairy/egg free. Thank you for sharing.

    Cheers,
    Marie

    Visiting today from Totally Tasty Tuesdays.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much! I think it was when my son had a temporary lactose intolerance due to illness that I realised just how difficult it must be. I also work in food and spend a long time risk assessing allergen risks. Writing 'free from' recipes is a great way to get my head in the right frame of mind!

      Delete

I would love to read your comments but please don't include links in them.

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.