Wednesday 3 October 2012

Our Favourite Vegetarian Meals

Anyone who knows me in real life will know I'm about as far from being vegetarian as it's possible to be.  BUT I do like tasty vegetarian food and I seem to attract a surprising number of vegetarians as friends.

So, after having a bout of insomnia and reviewing some recipes there were a few I thought "oh that was great" and "I'll have to make that again" most of which were vegetarian.  So here are my top 10 meals where you really don't miss the meat...



Mutter Paneer.  I first made this for a couple of friends who came round and had a curry night.  I toned it down a touch to make it toddler friendly but a hit with even my meat loving husband.



Vegetarian Lasagne.  I have no idea why but I've not made this for ages.  I love the way the green lentils make it feel more filling and substantial.  I prefer this to meat lasagne (where I always feel like I need a lie down afterwards).  My husband doesn't agree but he's wrong!



Spanakopita.  I love a vegetarian dish where it was always intended to be vegetarian, there isn't some kind of compromise where you feel like something is missing.  I have always been a big fan of Greek cookery and think it generally gets a bad press.  This is a bit inauthentic (I've upped the amount of cheese in it) but it's definitely tasty.  The baked savoury pastries in Greece are just awesome and another dish to try is baked feta, something happens to feta in the oven that's just kind of magical.



Mushroom Stroganoff.  Back to adapting meat recipes, this is obviously a 'vegetarian version' of beef stroganoff but with all of the paprika, it does take it somewhere slightly different.  Certainly a big hit with my son.



Bombay potatoes.  An anglicised potato curry dish but easy and tasty.  Great as a side dish if you're having something else or why not have it with some kachumber and chapattis?



The mini quiche!  I do love a little quiche and there's something toddlers love about kid sized food.  A cheeky way to sneak in some broccoli too.



I know I've suggested serving this coleslaw with meats but it is also good with cheeses or the above quiches for an easy lunch.  It's funny how I've had friends tell me their nurseries have been inspired by my blog, my son's nursery inspired me to make this!  I never would have thought he would give coleslaw a go until they told me how much he loves it!



Pepper and Goats Cheese Tart.  Tarts are great for using up bits of cheese in the fridge which are a little past their best and there's something about them which just wouldn't work with meat.  Tomato and brie is also a winner.



I do love my Goats cheese!  This was my first ever attempt at Cannelloni and a good one I think.  Great idea for hidden vegetables too, my 2 and a half year old thought it was great.



Chickpeas (garbanzo beans) are just made for curries I think.  It's a textural thing some vegetarian food misses out on and because they stay pretty firm, it just works.

I hope you've enjoyed the round up of some of my favourite vegetarian recipes.  Please let me know if you have any other favourites?

I've linked this up to Foodie Fridays with Diane Balch, here.

4 comments:

  1. My husband and I were vegetarians until we had carnivore kids. We eat about half veg and half meat fish meals a week in my house. I don't know which dish to start with these all look fantastic. Thanks for sharing them on foodie friday.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No problem. I made the vegetarian lasagne again at the weekend and my husband had some this time. He thought I'd made a mistake and it was meat lasagne!

      Delete
  2. Congrats, I am featuring your recipes on foodie friday today. Stop by and get your featured button. I will be tweeting extra about your recipes this week.

    ReplyDelete

I would love to read your comments but please don't include links in them.

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.