Thursday 14 June 2012

Sugar Free Carrot, Sultana and Apple Cake for Babies and Toddlers

This is my first attempt at a sugar free 'large' round cake.  Generally I have stuck to smaller cakes, easier to freeze and reheat etc.  There was something which made me want to give it a go and to be honest I pretty much made this up as I went along.  The results though were pretty good if I say so myself.  Much lighter than a carrot cake and although it is missing out on some of that fabulous flavour you get from good unrefined sugar; it's a different result but no worse for it, light and fruity and most importantly a hit with my son.




Sugar Free Carrot, Sultana and Apple cake - makes 1 large cake

Ingredients

60g Stoned dates, chopped
240g Sultanas
250ml Water
70g grated carrot
2 small apples, grated (including the skin but discard the core)
260g Self Raising flour (I used 3/4 white self raising to 1/4 wholemeal but you could use all white)
1/2 tsp nutmeg
1 tsp baking powder
100ml mild flavoured vegetable oil
2 eggs

Method

Put the dates, sultanas and water into a saucepan, bring to the boil and simmer for approx 5 mins.  In the meantime grate the carrots and apples, add to the sultana mix and allow to cool until at room temperature.

Preheat the oven to 180oC, 350F.  Line a 7 inch, 18 cm cake tin with non stick baking parchment.

Put the flours, nutmeg and baking powder into a bowl.

Add the oil and eggs to the cooled sultana mix.  Add the flour to the wet mix and mix it all together.

Pour into the cake tin and bake for 45 mins or until a knife comes out mostly clean.  Just be wary with this much fruit and vegetables in a cake, even when cooked the knife won't be spotless.

Sorry for the photograph, not my best, unfortunately I'm currently without my husband's camera so I can't do swanky things with depth of field as easily.  Ah now my photography secrets are revealed!

This post has been linked up here.

9 comments:

  1. How lovely - and super-healthy too!
    (Actually Mummy)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! It was a bit of a trial and error recipe but worked a treat!

      Delete
  2. Wonderful looking cake! has all goodies inside :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah I hope I can continue to sneak so much fruit and veg into his pudding!

      Delete
  3. mmmm my kitchen smells lovely with this baking in the oven. Doing a trial run for my son's first birthday cake. Substituted water for apple juice and using gluten free flour but looking good so far!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I made this for my sons first birthday and he loved it! The adult guests enjoyed it too. I made a few small changes,just personal taste, included some chunks of apple, drained the fruit mix before I added the eggs etc and used melted butter instead of oil. Frosted the cake using a cream cheese,butter and maple syrup frosting with some blueberry puree in. Thanks for a great sugar free recipe, they are hard to find!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Love it when I hear things have gone down well. Love the sound of the frosting!

      Delete
  5. what type of apples have people found work best and also i cant find mild veg oil will just normal veg oil be ok?
    will the mix be think and sticky once all mixed together or sloppy just so i know if i have the right consistency
    Thanks

    ReplyDelete

I would love to read your comments but please don't include links in them.

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.