Wednesday 24 October 2012

No Added Sugar Flapjacks - kid friendly

I was inspired to look again at my flapjack recipe I posted a while back by Ramshackle Mama.  I was never 100% happy with it, it's far too difficult to blend the dates for a start so I've had another look and tried a few different ingredients.  I think this is an improvement and got the thumbs up from my son and my husband.  A great and filling snack too for people trying to avoid refined carbohydrates.  Also it's possible to make it vegan by swapping the butter for margarine.




Sugar Free Flapjack - makes 12 - 16

Ingredients

150g Ready to eat stoned prunes
5 tbsp Satsuma juice (approx 2-3 satsumas) or use orange juice
150g Butter (or use margarine)
100g Sultanas
200g Porridge Oats
1/2 tsp mixed spice
1/2 tsp cinnamon

Method

Preheat the oven to 170oC / 350F.

Melt the butter in a saucepan and start to melt over a gentle heat.  In the meantime, juice the satsumas and put in a jug with the prunes.  It is worth checking they are actually stoned by either cutting them in half or squeezing them before putting them in, I found a stone in the pack I was using.  Blend the prunes with the juice as best you can, they won't blend completely.

Once the butter is melted, add the prune goo and the sultanas, combine and take off the heat.

Then weigh out the remaining ingredients.  Prepare a baking dish by lining with greaseproof paper.  I use a bit of spray oil on it to make sure the flapjack doesn't stick.

Mix the remaining ingredients into the butter mixture and then press into the lined dish.  Bake for 20-25 minutes or until starting to brown on top.



Score while still in the baking dish but leave in the dish until pretty much cold, otherwise it will all break apart.  Then lift out by the baking paper (carefully) and fully cut into pieces and allow to completely cool



These are best eaten on the day or by the end of the next day.  Keep them in an airtight tin but by then they will probably have gone anyway!

I like the autumnal feel of this dish so I've linked it up to crumbs and chaos here.

8 comments:

  1. One for my kids lunchboxes, thanks for this recipe, looks great! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for this... I'll DEFINITELY be trying this one out!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Can these be frozen do you think?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. To be honest, probably not. If you want to, I'd be more inclined to freeze raw, defrost then cook.

      Delete
    2. Re the problem you encountered using dates: when I followed your recipe for the date flapjacks I warmed the apple juice, dates and butter together. The dates break down very easily. I finished them off with a potato masher but I've also made them leaving them in soft pieces. I also add a bit of flour to any flapjack recipe as I'm not keen on too crumbly a texture and it makes them less greasy

      My one year old grand daughter and my diabetic husband love them so thank you so much for this. It had never occurred to me to use fruit juice and now I'm doing lots of experimenting.

      Delete
    3. No problem, I'm glad you liked them!

      Delete

I would love to read your comments but please don't include links in them.

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.