Wednesday 22 August 2012

Skordalia for the whole family

Hey, I'm not Greek so this is probably really inauthentic.  What I know about this dip come spread come side dish is it's always garlicky, it's a bit like hummus but not quite.  Sometimes it's made with potato, bread or other bulking foods.  I've made it here with split peas which you can pick up from the supermarket for pence.  Whatever the origins, I like it and I enjoy it.




Skordalia - Makes 1 small pot

Ingredients

75g Yellow Split Peas, soaked for 8 hours or overnight in cold water
1 clove of garlic
Half a lemon
1 tbsp olive oil
1 tsp fresh oregano
Seasoning if liked (if serving to adults)

Method

Drain the split peas and put them into a saucepan with enough boiling water to cover well.  Bring to the boil and skim off any scum.  Boil for 10 mins then reduce the heat to a simmer, cover and simmer away for 20-30 minutes or until softened.  Drain but preserve some of the water.

Put the drained split peas into a jug and add the juice of half a lemon, a crushed clove of garlic, oregano and oil.  Puree the peas using a stick blender adding a bit of the cooking water to loosen the mix if needed.

Put into a container and drizzle with a little more oil if liked.  I did find as it sat in my fridge it got a bit thicker so if you're keeping it for a second day you may want to add a little more olive oil and / or water to loosen it a bit.

Allow to cool fully and serve as wished, with grilled meats is good or in wraps or pitta.

I've linked this up to Meatless Mondays:

2 comments:

  1. Oh yum, I've never heard of this. Looks fab, a great alternative to hoummous. Oh, just spotted yellow split peas in my jars...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I certainly liked it. My husband prefers hummus I think but I thought it was cool and as you said, who doesn't have some ageing split peas in the cupboard? A real too much month left at the end of your money recipe!

      Delete

I would love to read your comments but please don't include links in them.

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.