Wednesday 29 February 2012

Thai Green Fish Curry

Well why not?  Ok, I've toned down the chilli but seriously, why not give your child Thai food?  After all in Thailand they just call it food...

Ok, so this is toned down version, it won't blow your head off but it is interesting and fragrant.  Something creamy too but completely milk free.




Thai Green Fish Curry - serves 1 Mummy and 1 Toddler

Ingredients for the paste:

1-2 cloves garlic
2 spring onions, chopped
Approx 1 tsp worth ginger root, chopped
Half of a mildish green chilli (no seeds)
Zest of 1 lime
Juice of half a lime
1 tsp fish sauce
1/2 tsp dark brown sugar
1/4 tsp ground coriander

Big handful of coriander leaf, finely shredded

1/2 tin of coconut milk

100g White fish fillet, thawed if frozen cut into chunks
4-5 Mushrooms, quartered if large

1/2 tsp cornflour mixed with a little water

Method

Crush and pound the paste ingredients in a pestle and mortar until it forms a rough paste (or you can chop them up in a mini food processor).  Refrigerate in a sealed jar if you're going to cook with the paste the following day (it is easier to do that, using a pestle and mortar with a toddler around isn't all that practical.)

The next day, open the tin of coconut milk (don't shake the tin first) and take a dsp of the creamy top stuff and put into a pan (meanwhile put some rice on to cook).  Heat until it starts to split.  Add in the paste and cook for a couple of minutes.  Then stir the coconut milk in the tin and add half of what's left to the saucepan, put the rest in the fridge in a plastic tub, maybe make my chicken curry recipe tomorrow?  Bring up to a simmer then add the mushrooms, cook for approx 2 mins then add the fish.

When the mushrooms and fish are cooked (approx 3 minutes), add in the coriander and the cornflour / water mix, stir until thickened and take off the heat.

Serve with boiled rice.

My 21 month old loved this even though it did have a chilli kick to it.  Be guided by your child and their likes and dislikes but I would be a bit more adventurous than your average parent.  I'm shocked when I see the only kids options in some restaurants are sausage and chips; bolognaise if you're lucky.  I was always so disappointed by the ready prepared baby food options too.  My son was exposed to hot curries throughout his 9 months gestation and even more for the 13 months I breastfed him so I figure he's going to be an adventurous sort!

If you'd like a more grown up Thai Green Curry recipe, click here!






2 comments:

  1. I found this throught At home with Mrs M's link up as I've linked up my kiddies easy cheesy fish pie. Mine love spicy food so will definitely be trying this out, thanks :0)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you enjoy. If they like it properly spicy you might want to increase the chilli.

      Delete

I would love to read your comments but please don't include links in them.

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.