Tuesday 21 February 2012

Chinese Mushroom Fried Rice for Toddlers

This is my take on a classic Chinese dish made friendly for toddlers and Mummies.  This is great because by using egg it means the rice is stickier and easier for early spoon feeders to feed themselves.  Also this is a great hidden vegetable (well fungi) dish because it hides the texture of mushrooms which is a common issue.  Egg yolks are also one of the few foods to naturally contain vitamin D, mushrooms can also be a decent source depending on how they've been produced.  At this time of year vitamin D is vital in our diets especially for kids.




Mushroom Fried Rice - serves 1 adult and 1 toddler, not huge portions though so you may want to make it bigger if you're hungry.

Ingredients

70g Long Grain Rice, inauthentic but I used basmati
90g Chopped Mushrooms, I used chestnut because that's what I had in
2 Cloves of Garlic
1 small onion, finely diced
2 tsp soy sauce
2 tsp sweet chilli sauce
1 egg, beaten
Spray oil
Sesame seeds to serve (optional)

Method

Put the rice in to boil.  Saute the onion in some spray oil until softened.  Add in the garlic and mushroom  and saute slowly until cooked.  I found this whole process neatly took until the rice was ready.  Drain the rice and add into the mushroom mixture.  Add the sauces followed by the beaten egg and mix immediately so the egg coats the rice.  Cook until no liquid egg remains.

Sprinkle the dish with sesame seeds if wanted.  Allow to cool to a suitable temperature to serve to your child.

Both Mummy and toddler loved this.

I wouldn't suggest this for babies because the salt content is a bit on the high side from the soy but I am starting to ease up a little with my son, especially as he's not allowed cheese at the moment.

4 comments:

  1. I've been really enjoying your blog. I have awarded you the Liebster Blog Award, after receiving it myself from a fellow blogger.
    Check out my post today at overflowinglaundrybasket.blogspot.com and copy the button and pass it on! Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, I saw the referral from your blog before I saw this comment so it was a lovely surprise! Thank you!

      Delete
  2. It looks nice but unfortunately mine are terrible with mushroom (more so than other veg, which is a shame as I don't cook (much) meat). They do like egg fried rice though, and if I chop it finely enogh, just maybe...
    And you asked me a while ago about the fritter recipe? It is on my blog now: http://kamel-mail.blogspot.com/2012/02/cakes-in-pan.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really does hide the texture so if that's the issue it could be a winner. I really liked it too so I think we'll be making it again at the weekend!

      Delete

I would love to read your comments but please don't include links in them.

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.