Thursday 8 September 2011

Egg Fried Rice for Toddlers

Well it could be for everyone really but I made this with my toddler in mind.  I'd never given my son prawns, probably having worked in food for so long and the fact he has eczema has made be cautious whenever I introduce a food which is on the list of 14 that the EU requires you to list on packaging.  (Do check local health care professionals advice as I know it varies on introducing potentially allergenic foods.)

If feeding to under 1's, skip the soy sauce, it is salty and also keep an eye on the salt content of the prawns.  Gut feel is the majority of salt in frozen prawns will come out from the ice glaze (yes, I did taste the water once defrosted and it was salty!  See the lengths I go to???)

If I've not put you off even with the terrible photography on this one...




Special Egg Fried Rice for Toddlers - serves one Mummy and one Toddler

Ingredients

60g Basmati Rice (or other long grain rice)
Spray oil
1 clove of Garlic
2 Spring Onions (scallions)
60g frozen peas
1 Egg, beaten
1 tsp Soy Sauce
120g Frozen Cooked Prawns or 90g of cooked, drained, defrosted (or chilled) prawns (shrimps)

Method

Cook the rice following packet instructions.  I always use basmati just because I find it easier to cook and get right, it's quicker (only takes 10 minutes) and I find other long grain rices really easy to overcook.  I know it's inauthentic!

Chop the spring onions, separating the white and green parts (no need to be obsessional about it; just the harder bits will be cooked with the garlic, the softer 'herb like' bits will be added at the end.)

Once the rice is cooked, drain it and heat some spray oil in a wok or frying pan.  Warm through the garlic and whites of the spring onions and soften a little.  Mix the beaten egg with a splash (approx 1dsp) of water then add to the onions and garlic, immediately adding the rice and peas.  Stir and keep stirring.  Add in the soy sauce and prawns and keep stirring until everything is hot through and the egg is cooked. Add the green parts of the spring onions and you're done.

I put a lid over my bowl and left my son's bowl to cool so mine was still warm when his was ready to eat.  Annoyingly though I forgot to take a picture until I'd snaffled all of mine so the above is pumpkin's half eaten portion which he was still working his way through (he's a fan of two spoons!)

Generally I'm not a fan of fried rice from takeaways because it's always so greasy but by using spray oil, this really wasn't.  Just one note of caution.  I always cook rice to order and never keep it.  This is because rice is notorious for causing Bacillus cereus food poisoning; particularly when it's reheated.  There are ways of controlling it if you're really careful but I never think it's worth the risk, especially with my son.

Like this dish?  Why not try the Spanish Rice?

No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love to read your comments but please don't include links in them.

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.