Saturday 1 October 2011

Vegetarian Spanish Rice for Babies and Toddlers

Well for parents too really.  I had some and liked it; probably needed more seasoning for my taste but I'm trying to get used to less salt in my diet so pumpkin can have more foods that we eat every day.



Is it wrong to be inspired by processed foods?  Well this was an idea which started with Savoury Rice.  A packet thing which used to be on sale in the UK in the 80s.  I have no idea why I thought of this, I don't remember liking it, at all.  But your mind wanders and inspiration can sometimes come from the strangest places.

So this is made up by me so any credentials as being genuinely Spanish are, well as Spanish as a straw donkey and a bottle of Estrella Damm drunk in Epping but there you go.  They're Spanish-y ingredients and it's my blog!  Full of lovely vegetables but they're kind of hidden which could be good for some kids.  Add prawns, fish or chicken if desired to make it more substantial.

Spanish Rice - ok for babies on soft lumps / BLW and Toddlers (parents too).  Serves 1 adult and 1 baby / toddler.

Ingredients

1/2 onion, diced finely
1 garlic clove, finely sliced
A splash of olive oil
1 red, orange or yellow pepper, finely sliced
1 tsp smoked paprika (the mild kind, sometimes it's labelled with 'dulce' but it's very difficult to tell and in the UK they often don't.  For UK readers, I find the Asda one is mild but the Tesco Ingredients one is like chilli powder.)
A couple of fresh thyme sprigs, finely chopped
50g paella rice
2-3 Cherry tomatoes, finely diced
A small handful of frozen peas
Boiling water to cover (or water mixed with a low salt stock cube or home made stock)

Method

Saute the onions, garlic and peppers in the olive oil until softened.  Add the rice and the paprika.  Stir for a minute or so.  Add the thyme, the tomatoes and water to cover plus about 3cm in the pan.  Bring to the boil and simmer for around 12 minutes.  Add the peas and simmer for around 5 minutes or until the rice is fully cooked.

Serve.

Add a bit of parsley if you're feeling fancy(!)

I have one phrase for you.  Tropical fruit savoury rice...  Oh my word.  There is a recipe which will never grace my blog.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love to read your comments but please don't include links in them.

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.