Monday 17 September 2012

Spinach and Goats Cheese Cannelloni

I'm very tired.  I had the amazing gift of a day off being a Mummy on Saturday so I went to London to see the Preraphaelite exhibition at Tate Britain.  It was an amazing experience.  So many paintings I thought I knew well but seeing them in real life felt like poetry.

So after a full day on Saturday making a roast dinner felt like the last thing I wanted to do on Sunday and something about tiredness brings out the creativity in me so I came up with this off the top of my head.  I have to say even if I'm blowing my own trumpet, it was a success.  The wee man ate two cannellonis and half a slice of garlic bread all on his own occasionally looking up to say "hmmm".

What's best though is apart from this being a cheap meal (as meals without meat often are), it's delicious and it contains at least four hidden vegetables which are great for you; spinach, tomatoes, pepper and carrots.  Perfect for the little (or big) fusspot in your life.




Goat's cheese and spinach cannelloni - serves 2 adults and 1 toddler

Ingredients

9 Cannelloni tubes mine weighed about 90g (I used Asda own brand cannelloni tubes) but I suspect they vary in size
350g Home made tomato sauce, I used some from the freezer, the recipe is here

Filling
150g Soft, rindless goat's cheese
160g Frozen, chopped spinach, defrosted
20g Extra Mature (Sharp) cheddar, grated
A few grindings of nutmeg

Topping
60g Extra Mature (Sharp) cheddar, grated

Method

Preheat the oven to 180oC / 350F.

Drain off any water from the spinach and mix with the 20g of cheddar, nutmeg and goat's cheese.

Put half of the tomato sauce in the base of a dish then fill each tube up with the mixture.  This is a messy job.  When pumpkin is a bit older, he's so getting roped into this.  Put them in a single layer then pour over the rest of the tomato sauce and top with the rest of the cheddar.

Cover with a piece of foil and bake for 20 minutes.  Increase the heat to 200oC / 400F.  Remove the foil and bake for 10 more minutes.  Serve with vegetables or salad and garlic bread if liked.  I've linked this up to meatless mondays here.




So the exhibition.  I can't get over how beautiful it was; it filled my heart with love, joy and emotion.  The perfect antidote to the not so good bits in my life right now.  If you get the chance, go visit; if only to see Millais' Ophelia in real life, prints don't do her justice.

4 comments:

  1. I am a big art fan after doing it for A level as well as art history. Love the pre-Raphaelites and think you chose a perfect day out/off.
    I haven't made cannelloni for years, you have just reminded me how good a dish it is!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I loved it too. Seeing Ophelia in real life was breathtaking.

      Delete
  2. this looks like a brilliant recipe. I know I would love it. The Husband doesn't like goats cheese though (strange man) despite my best efforts, but may be this will be the recipe to turn him??

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You could always substitute it with ricotta?

      Delete

I would love to read your comments but please don't include links in them.

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.