Saturday 1 September 2012

Mushroom Stroganoff for kids

This is loosely based on this recipe from the good food website but I've made a few changes to make it my own.

My son loves mushrooms, along with prawns he'd eat them for every meal if I let him.  I'd had the idea of making a mushroom stroganoff for him for a while but never attempted it, to be honest knowing what he's like I was worried it would be too bland but with some tweaks to this recipe it really wasn't, if perhaps it was a bit redder than normal recipes due to all the paprika but tasty!

I served it with rice but all the mushrooms were eaten and the rice was ignored.  I think he's on some "why should I eat rice unless it's got interesting bits in it" vibe at the moment.  Well who can blame him I guess?




Mushroom Stroganoff - serves 1 mushroom obsessed toddler or possibly 2 kids with normal attitudes to fungi(!)

Ingredients

Vegetable or olive oil
1/2 onion, finely chopped
1 tsp smoked paprika
1 clove of garlic
100g mushrooms
1/2 chicken or vegetable stock cube made up with 150 ml water (use low salt for younger kids if liked or home made stock)
2 tbsp double (heavy) cream
A squeeze of lemon juice
Parsley

Method

Fry the onion gently in the oil for 5 minutes or until softened.  Add the garlic and paprika, add the mushrooms with a little more oil if needed and cook for 2-3 mins or so.  Add in the stock, bring to the boil and then add in the cream.  Bubble until thickened and the mushrooms are cooked.  Add a squeeze of lemon and serve sprinkled with parsley with rice or noodles on the side.

Hmm, tasty!

I've linked this up to Meatless Mondays:

I've linked this up here and to Herbs on a Saturday here.


Herbs on Saturday

11 comments:

  1. Love this! We are big mushroom fans in our house and little Miss (almost 2) eats anything served with rice. Love the paprika inclusion, yum.

    ReplyDelete
  2. this is fantastic. my son loves the mushrooms from beef stroganoff and leaves the meat so I cant wait to try it. just need to pick up some smoked paprika.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just make sure you get mild or sweet smoked paprika, you can get spicier versions which might be a little much for younger tastebuds!

      Delete
  3. Hi, I'm visiting through Herbs on Saturday. This looks absolutely delicious and very easy to make.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Now this, I am going to make, as it looks really fantastic.

    Lesley
    Scottish Mum Blog

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for linking your dishes in to Food on Friday. love the gravy colour in this one. Have a super week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought it was a bit red but it tasted good!

      Delete

I would love to read your comments but please don't include links in them.

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.