Monday 28 November 2011

Falafels for Babies, Toddlers and the Whole Family

This is genuinely a whole family recipe.  If I don't say so myself, I'm really impressed with myself for these and it's all completely my invention.






Falafels - makes approx 8-10 (more if you make them smaller) 

Ingredients


1 onion, finely chopped
1 clove of garlic, finely chopped
Spray oil
1 small courgette (zucchini), grated
1 tin of cooked chickpeas (garbanzo beans), drained (240g drained weight)
Small handful of coriander (cilantro)
1/4 tsp hot chilli sauce (I used Encona West Indian Hot Pepper sauce, not authentic but my favourite) - optional if making for babies
1/2 tsp sweet paprika (ie not the spicy kind)
2 dsp cornflour
Olive oil for brushing

Method

Saute the onion and garlic in some spray oil or a little olive oil until softened.  Add the grated courgette and cook until it's shrunk back a bit (driving off the moisture.)  Allow to cool.

Add the drained chickpeas, coriander, sauce if using (I did and my 18 month old loved them), paprika and two thirds of the onion mixture to a food processor.  Process well, it won't go completely smooth.  Tip out into a bowl and add in the remainder of the onions and the cornflour.  Shape into patties and put onto a lined baking tray slightly oiled and chill until ready to cook.

Preheat an oven to 200-220 oC.  Brush the tops of the falafel with oil and bake for 20-25 minutes.  Serve for babies or toddlers broken up slightly with strips of pitta bread or for adults serve in a pitta bread with tomato, cucumber or salad, mayo and extra chilli sauce.  Yum!



This would be great with babies doing baby led weaning.  You know your child better than I do so use your judgement with the spicing.  I know my son would have been fine with the garlic and paprika, I probably would have tried him with the chilli sauce because he's an adventurous sort.

Come to think of it, I'm planning to give him some keema curry from the freezer for tea.  This could be an interesting nappy day!!!

This has been submitted to the Diet Dessert Dogs linky!

3 comments:

  1. I adore falafels--for babies, or otherwise! This sounds like a recipe I'd love. Thanks so much for linking up to WellnessWeekend this week! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No problems. I hope you enjoy them! I do as does my son!

      Delete
  2. Just found your blog and this recipe has me so excited! We love to eat at a local Lebanese restaurant and these are one of our fav treats. Since we don't eat glutens or sugars think I'll try with almond flour instead of corn flour. Look forward to swapping some great recipes.

    ReplyDelete

I would love to read your comments but please don't include links in them.

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.