Monday 24 October 2011

Keema and Potato curry for babies and toddlers (Keema Aloo)

Well no claims to authenticity.  I'm not Indian, I once spent 5 weeks in India variably eating some of the best, worst and most food poisoning inducing food possible.  I did have some fantastic food too though and I've also lived in some of the cities in the UK with the biggest Indian, Pakastani and Bangladeshi communities.  A lot of people wouldn't think of making a curry with mince though which is quite traditional, it also gives you the opportunity to bulk out as well with lots of vegetables.  I've chosen potatoes here which again is pretty traditional (I think.)




I've not made my own curry paste; although we eat a fair amount of curries, I've rarely been able to make one totally from scratch which tastes as good as using a paste.  I use Pataks pastes generally because I love the flavours of them.  In my defence, allegedly there are a significant number of UK curry houses using them too.

I see no reason not to give this to a baby who is ok with lumps.  You could tone down the amount of curry paste or even just use garam masala (which is very mild but flavoursome) and mash the potato a bit with a fork.  Probably 10 months plus but you know your baby better than I do!

Keema and Potato Curry for Babies and Toddlers - serves 6 (for toddlers) with rice.

Ingredients

250g Lamb mince
Half an onion, finely diced
Oil or spray oil
4-5 New potatoes in a fine dice (I weighed mine and they came to 240g)
1 garlic clove, finely chopped
1 tsp turmeric
2 tsp mild curry paste (could use less for younger children)
Half a tin of chopped tomatoes
1/2 tsp garam masala

Method

Soften the onion in a little oil, add the garlic, soften a little more and put into a saucepan or slow cooker.  Add the lamb and fry for a couple of minutes, add the turmeric, stir a few times then put into the saucepan or slow cooker along with the curry paste, tomatoes and potatoes.  Add some water to loosen up (but not too much) and bring to the boil (or put on high in a slow cooker).  Cook until the potatoes are cooked through (approx 2 hours on high in a slow cooker, will take less time in a saucepan) adding more water if necessary.  Add the garam masala and serve with rice or naan bread.

























I think this will freeze well, I'll let you know.

I was a naughty mummy and left my son to eat while I was in the same room doing the dishes.  Looked round after 5 minutes and it was gone!  Definitely a hit!

If you like this, why not try the prawn curry, chicken curry or dahl?

It's worth mentioning I've since included a few red lentils into this recipe (make sure they're boiled for 10 mins before adding to the slow cooker) and you barely notice.  I good way of making the recipe cheaper and widening the range of nutrients!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love to read your comments but please don't include links in them.

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.