Monday 6 June 2011

Minced Turkey Nuggets

This is based upon a chicken nuggets recipe for babies I found on a baby led weaning website.  I'm not 100% convinced that all babies under 12 months would be ok with them, they did come out a little firm but I suppose traditional bought chicken nuggets are a bit firm too.  I changed the bread to pitta bread and took out the mayo from the original recipe.  It might be that which has made the nuggets heavier but the crumbs for the outside where good even though not toasted.  They were softer inside with the breadcrumb coating but I ran out mid way which is why some were breaded and some weren't.  Still tasty though and an option if you haven't got the time to bread them (it's not often I do but my son decided to have a good nap this morning!)















The original recipe claims you can also cook these from frozen for 45 minutes.  I've yet to try this and to be honest I probably won't.  Cooking poultry from frozen is not something I'd normally recommend.  I would suggest you leave them to defrost then cook as per the normal instructions.




Minced Turkey Nuggets - for toddlers and adults, may be ok for 9 month plus baby led weaners as there's no nasty ingredients, they're just a little firm; I'll let you use your judgement.  Makes approx 25.

Ingredients


Nuggets

340g minced turkey
80g grated cheddar
80g pitta bread whizzed up into breadcrumbs
1 garlic clove very finely chopped

For coating (optional)

A beaten egg
Further pitta bread crumbs - suggest another 80g, I had 40g and ran out.
Spray oil

Method

Mix all of the ingredients together for the nuggets; use your hands as then you can mash them together.  Form into balls around the size of a walnut.  If you're coating them, dip them into egg and then the remaining crumbs.  Then put the coated or uncoated nuggets onto an oven tray lined with non stick paper (or freeze - see comments above, suggest you defrost before cooking.)

Spray the nuggets with a little spray oil.  Bake the nuggets for 20 minutes at 180 degrees C.

I sliced these up for him to eat but he seemed to do fine (my son is 13 months old.)  These are also tasty cold and a recipe definitely older kids and adults will like.  Not bland at all.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love to read your comments but please don't include links in them.

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.