Monday 21 March 2011

Pear and Vanilla puree and Relationships

Facebook has changed the way we interact with friends and acquaintances.  Do I really have over 100 friends in my life?  Probably not.  In that list of "friends" are people I would have (and in some cases had) lost touch with had social networking sites not existed.  So why am I friends with as many people on there as I am?  I suppose I feel like it keeps people updated on what's going on in our lives without having to update each person in turn.  But what does this say of me as a person and of my friendships?


One thing that has surprised me though is, taken in a different format, communicating through emails, instant messaging, posts and photographs has changed some of these relationships.  People who I spoke to infrequently now know (and care) more about what's going on with me than people I previously talked to a lot.  Also having that step removed, being reduced to text makes people braver somehow.  Like being hidden behind a screen enables a display of vulnerability which would have been more difficult to show in person or on the phone and I think a degree of vulnerability only strengthens relationships.  People who say everything is tickedy-boo all the time are just better liars.


So, anyway, I've come up with a new fruit puree combination.

Pear and Vanilla Puree

4 Pears
1 tsp vanilla extract (not essence).

Method

Peel and core the pears.  Add a tiny amount of water and put on a hob with a lid on the top.  Cook until softened.  Add a tsp of the vanilla extract and mix.  Puree with as little amount of water as needed to puree them (you may find none is needed, pears are quite juicy.)  Freezes well and mixes well with yoghurt as a pudding.

Pears were less than 70p a bag in my local supermarket last week so it makes the above recipe really economical.


Oh, by the way, despite my lofty reasoning above, the real reason I joined facebook was for the scrabble.  

No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love to read your comments but please don't include links in them.

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.