Friday 2 May 2014

Gluten Free Pancakes

Chickpea pancakes might sound like an odd proposition for breakfast but bear with me.  Chickpea (garbanzo bean) flour or 'Besan' has a distinctive, savoury taste but there is something delicious about that served with syrup, just like that salty sweet combo of bacon and syrup is something fantastic, so was this.

The amazing thing about chickpea (garbanzo bean) flour is it has over double the amount of protein compared with wheat flour which makes them amazingly filling so a great start for the day, and, handily for coeliacs (or people choosing to avoid gluten), it's naturally gluten and wheat free.

The verdict was "nice but not quite as good as the normal ones" from the household, I disagreed.  I really liked them and I felt seriously full until lunch.

Gluten free pancakes




Gluten Free Pancakes - Makes enough for 3-4

Ingredients

Batter
225g, 8oz Chickpea (garbanzo bean) flour (besan)
2 tsp Gluten free baking powder
1 tsp Cinnamon
2 Apples, grated (including skin but excluding the core)
300ml, a generous half pint Milk
2 Eggs

Butter or spray oil

Butter, honey (over 1s only), golden syrup or maple syrup to serve.

Method

Blend all of the batter ingredients together including the grated apples.  I normally take them and crate them back to the core.

Heat a non stick frying pan and either rub butter over it or spray with spray oil (see my original pancake post for more instructions).

Pour or spoon on a little batter.  Keep on a medium heat and turn when the bubbles start to burst.  It might take a little trial and error to get the perfect heat.

Stack of pancakes


Once ready, put on a plate and top with your choice of toppings.

Make it Thrifty

Look out for big bags of Besan or Chickpea flour in the Indian / South Asian section of your supermarket.  They're also great for making pakoras!

Amazingly I've been shortlisted for the Britmums Brilliance in Blogging awards for the third year running but I've never won and only once made it to the finals.  Making it to the finals depends on a vote from people like you.  Please click on this image below and a survey will open.  It will ask for your email address but they don't spam you, don't worry!  It takes minutes and at the same time, you can vote for other blogs you like the look of or not if you don't read many other blogs (or choose not to!)  I'm listed as "Mama Cook" in the food category.
 
 
VOTE FOR ME BiB 2014 FOOD

4 comments:

  1. These sound delicious! =) Stopping by from the Tasty Tuesday linky party.
    Im pinning your recipe to my breakfast board.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I really liked them and the protein content of the flour really makes them very filling.

      Delete
  2. Great recipe !
    Must try :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks... I think Gram flour is my new favourite ingredient. I've been cooking so many pakoras recently as well. I will post another recipe soon :-)

      Delete

I would love to read your comments but please don't include links in them.

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.