Wednesday 6 November 2013

Spinach and Potato Bites, great for babies and toddlers

I was out running this morning, as you do, and thought about something my Mum used to cook for us sometimes.  In retrospect I suspect it was a way to use up excess mashed potato but it was something I loved.  If I'm honest I was never a big fan of mashed potato on it's own and this mixed it up a bit.

So I made them smaller, added spinach and made these.  They were a big hit with my son.  I gave him 6 and he ate them all first off his plate, even before the fish fingers I served them with and he does love fish fingers (well we all need some time off).

This would be great as a first finger food.  They're still soft when baked.



Spinach and Potato Bites - Makes about 8 small swirly bites

Ingredients

40g Spinach, chopped finely
Spray oil
1 clove of garlic
100g Mashed potato
10g Extra mature (extra sharp) cheddar
1 tsp Milk
A few gratings of nutmeg

Method

Preheat the oven to 220oC, 420F, gas mark 7.

Fry the spinach with the whole clove of garlic in the spray oil until it's wilted, it only takes a couple of minutes.  Put in a bowl taking out the garlic and mix in the mash, cheddar, milk and nutmeg.


Line a baking tray or swiss roll tin with non stick baking paper.  Spray the paper with spray oil or brush with oil if you prefer.  Use a piping bag or piping syringe to pipe swirls onto the paper.  Spray or brush with oil and bake for 12-15 minutes or until hot through and brown.


It just so happens that January's Family Foodies challenge is all about 'hidden goodies'.  Is there a more appropriate challenge for Mamacook?  I think not!  So I've submitted this along with a few other recipes to Bangers and Mash and Eat your veg's challenge:

3 comments:

  1. Love these and I know my kids will too. Brilliant entry for January's Family Foodies challenge - keep them coming!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, I've got another idea in the idea bank!

      Delete
  2. Fantastic! A massive hit :-)
    My little man loves those frozen animal shapes from supermarket as an occasional treat with fish fingers, so I thought I'd try these as a home made version he can have more often! Instead of piping I made into little marble sized balls using my hands. Cooked in 15mins.
    I've previously tried the salmon version of these which were also a hit. I think I'm going to try these again with more veg! Perhaps grated courgette as I've got a glut in the garden.
    I'm going to freeze these, cooked, in batches wrapped in greaseproof paper in a Tupperware tub. I'd guess defrost in fridge overnight then just warm briefly to serve.

    ReplyDelete

I would love to read your comments but please don't include links in them.

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.