Wednesday 2 May 2012

Sugar free date and ginger muffins for babies and toddlers

These are amazing...

I'm making these again.  The ginger was subtle enough to give a gentle warmth and flavour without being overpowering and the dates sometimes make cakes a little heavy.  Not here.




Date and Ginger Muffins - suitable for babies on finger foods, toddlers and Mummies (maybe Daddies if there are any left.)

Ingredients

150g Stone free dates chopped finely
140g Self Raising flour (or plain flour and baking powder)
1 egg
125ml Apple juice
3 tbsp vegetable oil
1/2 tsp powdered ginger

Method

Preheat the oven to 200oC / 400F.

Put the dates, flour and ginger into a bowl.

Pour the wet ingredients (juice, oil and egg) into a jug and mix.

Use some oil or spray oil into a mini muffin or cupcake tin (silicon ones are good).

Mix the wet ingredients into the dry; not overmixing.

Put the muffin mix into the tin and bake for 12 mins approx (non fan ovens will take longer).  Allow to cool and devour...

I've not tried freezing them yet but if they're anything like my other muffin recipes, they will freeze fantastically. That's if they don't all get eaten.

Oooh these are tasty.  I ate 5 (oops).  No, they're too good for kids...  Oh ok maybe one.

I've linked this lovely old recipe up to the Spice Trail Ginger challenge.


12 comments:

  1. I make muffins all the time and they are laden with sugar, I do like the sound of these. Good for adults too, right :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Absolutely! They got the thumbs up from mummy and daddy!!!

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. Give them a go! I thought they were!

      Delete
  3. Finally got around to making these this afternoon...amazing! I fear the baby may not get any as both me and my other half have found them very moreish :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for that! You've made me smile! I love it when my recipes work for other people!

      Delete
  4. Just made these today and they are delicious as well as very easy to make. My son seems to like them too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I'm glad they went down well!

      Delete
  5. Look absolutely scrummy - this would make an ideal pack lunch treat for my bigger girls!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Absolutely. They're on the list for making when my son starts school!

      Delete
  6. I've been looking for sugar free muffin recipes and found you through Bangers and Mash. Great recipe! Perfect for my kids as an after school snack :-)

    ReplyDelete

I would love to read your comments but please don't include links in them.

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.